Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Please help. I can't decide

Please help me choose my first digital camera. I've been reading a lot of these reviews.. but I still can't decide on one particular model.

I want a camera so I can carry it around with me all the time.. I also want to starting learning some photography with it.. I have narrowed down my search to Exilim EX750, Canon A510, Canon A95, and Canon S70.

I like the casio because it is the smallest among them and the fast response time. But the quality does seems as good compared to the others and have red eye problems...

The Cannons seems to generally have a better reputation. seems to have more fancy features too.. The A series uses AA batteries.. but they don't support usb 2.0... not sure if that is a problem..

Any help would be appreciated. I can't wait to get my first camera!

Budget
    around 400

Size
    prefer smaller camera as I want to carry it around everywhere

Features
    megapixel: standard
    image quality: 8
    manual control: Yes! I want to learn with it

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?
    everything. probably most p&s. and learn some manual stuff on the weekends

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?
    probably not. at least not in the plan to now.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?
    Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?
    some

Miscellaneous

Are there particular models you already have in mind?
    Casio Exilim 750, Canon A510, Canon A95, Canon s70

gaccx2-

You can probably get the biggest bang for the bucks with the Canon A-95 which has everything on it from an automatic point and shoot capability all the way through to full manual control. The same is true for the Canon S-70, but the cost of the S-70 dfigital camera will be a lot higher. I could be wrong, but I believe that the other digital cameras you listed have either a minimum amout of manual controls or none,

Certainly, you cannot go wrong with either of the two Canon cameras. Some other digital cameras to consider in the "hardly any manual controls" group would be the Nikon 5900, Nikon 7900 and the Fuji F-10. Please take a look at my reply and photo samples that I made to Ripper for more details on the Fuji F-10.

Sarah Joyce

Of the cameras you've mentioned, the A95 will provide the most satisfying experience and best price to value ratio...it's still one of the best cameras out there and can be had for around $250...

Thanks for the input. I just double checked the specs for Casio Exilim EX-Z750 and Canon PowerShot A510. Both cameras do show as having manual controls (Exposure compensation, shutter speed, aperture, white balance, focus)..

Also, I was reading somewhere that said that the A95's reponse time is kinda slow... is this true? if so, how bad is it? I prefer to have a camera with good response time... don't want to miss the moment to take a shot just because the camera lags...

gaccx-

The Canon A-95 does have a slightly slower response time. However, we are talking about a second or two, which is very decent.

Yes, the Canon A-510 does have some manual controls, however, if you want instant response time look elsewhere. The A-510 is very slow.

The Casio EX-750 was just reviewed on this website and while an interesting digital camera with many pluses, it has a weak flash and red eye problems.

Sarah Joyce

I went to the store yesterday to check out the two cameras. They didn't have the Casio EX-750 in stock.. but I did take a look at the A95. I like it.. except that it seems a little too bulky to carry around in my purse.. I am still undecided.. Are there any other recommendations on small camera with manual controls that I should be looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by gaccx2
    I went to the store yesterday to check out the two cameras. They didn't have the Casio EX-750 in stock.. but I did take a look at the A95. I like it.. except that it seems a little too bulky to carry around in my purse.. I am still undecided.. Are there any other recommendations on small camera with manual controls that I should be looking at?
    If you want manual controls in a pocket cam, your choices are limited. A few that jump out are the Casio Z750 (go to a different store if you have to), the Sony P200 and the Sony W7...
    Last edited by JTL; 05-25-2005 at 10:45 AM.

how about samsung digi-max v70

It's like a smaller, lighter, with bigger lcd and higher resolution canon a95. Loads of manual controls and very versatile battery options. I thought it took beautiful sharp pictures... here's a review of the v700 which is similar but no rotating lcd I would say the pros and cons of this model hold true for the v70 as well from what I experienced --> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsungv700/