Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Anyone have a video-hum free SD500?

I am testing out an SD500, and it has the talked about shrill hum during videos, which my lost SD300 and my test SD400 does not. Its pretty bad, too, to the point where I cant really utilize the videos it takes, its that shrill. Does anyone here have an SD500 that is hum-free? Im wondering what the percentage of bad cameras is thats out there.

I've heard a lot of people complaining about this, but am not sure about mine, since I find the ones I'm taking acceptable. Can anyone post a sample clip that is particularly illustrative of this problem?

Unhappy Samples of Video Hum/whine from SD500

If you have broadband, I posted some samples at http://homepage.mac.com/lannyfr/SD500TESTIMAGES. PLEASE be patient with them loading, they are huge files--I didnt resize them for the web because I wanted to show what the files are like right from the camera.

Wow--I didn't know that was how bad it was when people were talking about a humming sound. In that case, my movies are virtually free of unwanted noise, ie. the humming sound.

Maybe swap the one you have for a newer one. Perhaps some models which were physically built earlier had a problem that was later worked out.
    Last edited by gnu; 05-22-2005 at 07:12 PM.

To even hear what I think is a whine, I have to crank the volume to 10, and even then I have to put my ear next to the speaker...it's so faint that it's essentially non-existent.

Others that I know who have the SD500 don't even know what I'm talking about when I mention the hum/whine...so...it appears to be totally hit-and-miss...

Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    To even hear what I think is a whine, I have to crank the volume to 10, and even then I have to put my ear next to the speaker...it's so faint that it's essentially non-existent.

Others that I know who have the SD500 don't even know what I'm talking about when I mention the hum/whine...so...it appears to be totally hit-and-miss...
    Guess I just got a bad one. Did you check out the samples I posted, I wonder how they compare to your camera. Especially my ROOFTOP video sample, the whine seems really obvious to me in that one.

Quote Originally Posted by LANNY R
    Guess I just got a bad one. Did you check out the samples I posted, I wonder how they compare to your camera. Especially my ROOFTOP video sample, the whine seems really obvious to me in that one.
    I only checked out the rooftop video...and I agree...that is bad background hum. If my camera did that, I'd return it for sure. Especially since plenty of people have gotten ones with little or no hum. There are people who have posted here who have returned them 3 or more times to get one they liked...which is a shame because it is a great camera except for the obvious quality control issues...

I've got some serious whining issues as well. Does anyone know where i can upload a relatively small clip of this whining? I've just listened to your clip and my SD500 seems just as bad, or even worse !

Cheers!
    Kim.
    Last edited by kimnkk; 05-23-2005 at 02:05 AM.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca..._sd200-review/

And more specifically;
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...w/MVI_1107.AVI
    23MB

That's the review of the SD200 and it exhibits pretty much the exact same whine that my SD500 shows. And Jeff doesn't mention anything about a whine! Could this be normal?

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by kimnkk
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca..._sd200-review/

And more specifically;
    http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...w/MVI_1107.AVI
    23MB

That's the review of the SD200 and it exhibits pretty much the exact same whine that my SD500 shows. And Jeff doesn't mention anything about a whine! Could this be normal?
    Wow, you are right. However, did you check my posted samples? The sample from my SD300 that was lost is totally silent. The SD400 I am testing now is I would say 90% silent, definitely acceptable. So the whine is not necessarily present in every canon SD model. A few have said its in their S70 as well, and in this post, others have said they got silent SD500s, but some had to return it 3 times before they did. Sigh, so much work to get a good camera.