Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Camera for laboratory (macro)

I'm trying to find the ideal camera for use in a laboratory environment.

Requirements:

• Macro - needs an excellent macro function (I've seen references to "super
      macro"? No specifics though.). It will primarily be used for close up photos of failed samples, etc. Should be able to zoom in macro for shots which require external lighting.
    • Budget - under $200
    • Resolution - ~3-4 megapixels. Main requirement is high quality images. Most will be used in email and printed reports, rather than glossy photo prints.
    • Durable - doesn't need to be indestructible, just able to withstand use
      by a variety of people (short drops, etc)
    • Easy to use - manual settings would be nice, but it needs reasonably good auto options for novice users.
    • Batteries - life is not very important, it would be used for brief periods. Rechargeable a must, does not need to be removeable.
    • Memory - SD would be preferred, several people have laptops with built-in SD slots.

It had been hard to research this camera as I have been unable to find a review site that goes into any detail on macro pictures. Sony is out (Memory Stick too proprietary) - not my call, my personal camera a Sony. Canon is not looking good - I do not like their user interface.

Thanks!

Under $200, want a good macro mode and possibly want manual controls? This is unrealistic. You need to spend about $300 to see all three of those in sync. The Canon Powershot A75 is the only really good camera for $200 (and up to $250 really). I would have almost recommended the Nikon CP 4600 if it weren't for the less than hot reviews here and elsewhere. You're either going to have to go for the A75 (which is still a great camera) or pay up a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by Confusatron
    I'm trying to find the ideal camera for use in a laboratory environment.

Requirements:

• Macro - needs an excellent macro function (I've seen references to "super
      macro"? No specifics though.). It will primarily be used for close up photos of failed samples, etc. Should be able to zoom in macro for shots which require external lighting.
    • Budget - under $200
    • Resolution - ~3-4 megapixels. Main requirement is high quality images. Most will be used in email and printed reports, rather than glossy photo prints.
    • Durable - doesn't need to be indestructible, just able to withstand use
      by a variety of people (short drops, etc)
    • Easy to use - manual settings would be nice, but it needs reasonably good auto options for novice users.
    • Batteries - life is not very important, it would be used for brief periods. Rechargeable a must, does not need to be removeable.
    • Memory - SD would be preferred, several people have laptops with built-in SD slots.

It had been hard to research this camera as I have been unable to find a review site that goes into any detail on macro pictures. Sony is out (Memory Stick too proprietary) - not my call, my personal camera a Sony. Canon is not looking good - I do not like their user interface.

Thanks!
    I 100% agree with Rex. If you need to stay under $200 the A75 can't be beat. Note: I have owned both the A75 and the A510, which replaces the A75, and was not as impressed with the A510 in comparison.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Hmm, I guess I'm hesitant about the Canon - my parents have a Powershot A series (I think it is an A70) and I absolutely HATE the user interface. It has directional buttons (up/down/left/right) with no center "OK" button, which IMHO violates any reasonable user interface design. They wound up taking an entire vacation's worth of photos in 640x480 mode, and it took me several minutes to figure out how to change the image resolution (I had to look at the MANUAL. I never look at the manual!). It looks like they have fixed the button layout on the A75 - I'll have to check one out and see (the sample macro shot I found looks pretty good).

So what would $300 get me?

Samsung?

It looks like Samsung has the "super macro" feature - macro shots as near as 5cm. Anyone try this feature?