Hi everyone.

I've just got my first digital camera, the A520, wanted something relatively inexpensive and functional and am very pleased with it so far. Have helped other people with their cameras and am reasonably computer literate but have been having problems connecting the camera to my PC (am using XP Home).

I had some other (Nikon) digital camera software installed, which I completely removed before installing the provided Canon software.

I did the standard installation, restarted, followed instructions to the letter, and after plugging camera in and switching on (in 'play' mode), waited.

The CameraWindow event dialog doesn't automatically open, but the CameraWindow launcher appears in the taskbar as though it's trying to.

If you go >Programs >Canon Utilities >CameraWindow or open ZoomBrowser EX and try 'acquire', it says 'CameraWindow already running. Start aborted' - as though CW is open already, it's just not visible on my screen!

Clicking (left, right or double) on the taskbar icon doesn't do anything either, nothing opens, no menu or window, zip!

In 'My Computer', the camera is recognised as 'Canon Powershot A520', asking for camera properties gives 'The imaging device is busy, or may be in use by another application. You may cancel or continue to wait for the device to become available'.

The Microsoft Scanner/Camera wizard when launched tries to communicate and says 'The scanner or camera is in use. Please try again later'. By this point, the 'launcher' icon has vanished, but if you try to open CameraWindow manually, reappears and again, nothing else seems to happen!

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

I haven't got a cardreader at the moment, but if I pop the SD card into my PDA I can download my pics via that with no problem (just a bit slower), but I'm a bit mystified. I have uninstalled everything and tried again, and I've restarted half a dozen times but no luck.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Lauren