Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I don't know if you've all figured things out, but I was able to solve my problem after calling Canon tech support. A process was running when I started my computer that was interfering with the CameraWindow program. I ran MSConfig, chose "Selective Startup," and then unchecked "Load Startup Items." I restarted, and CameraWindow worked. After doing this, you can run MSConfig again, and click on the rightmost tab, "Startup." Check one process at a time, click apply, then restart your computer. The process that was interfering with my camera was dlbkbmgr, which is somehow related to my printer.

Hope this helps!

Smile Will try

Thanks for the last two suggestions (and everyone for the previous ones too!). I'm away from home at the moment so can't try them out yet, but will when I get back at the end of July. Incidently, got a chance to try the camera out with another computer, and it works perfectly! Thanks again, everyone.

cateyed Guest

Smile Disabled service

Hi all,

I was experiancing the same problem with my Ixus 750. My problem ended up being that my "Canon Camera Access Library 8" service was unable to start, due to one of the dependancies not being started.

I discovered that my "SSDP Discovery Service" was disabled, and hence was stopping the Canon service.

I changed the SSDP Discovery Service to Manual, and restarted the Canon Camera service, and all was well. CameraWindow started straight away.

You might also check the "Windows Image Acquistion" service, as this is also a dependancy for the Canon Camera service.

Hope this helps someone!

M

Eric Hill Guest

Thumbs up CameraWindow problem? - Solved

Quote Originally Posted by cateyed
    my "SSDP Discovery Service" was disabled, and hence was stopping the Canon service.

-snip-

Hope this helps someone!

M
    This was very helpful!

Thank you!!

Eric

LouisHirst Guest

Exclamation SSDP Discovery Service / Canon CameraWindow

Folks the SSDP Discovery Service is bad because it opens up a vulnerability in windows. I'm not here to make you scared or paranoid, it's just a fact that UPNP could be used by a hacker to exploit your computer. Simply put, UPNP allows someone to establish a connection to your computer without you knowing - which is never good. The root of this problem is that the canon camera access library 8 service wants to depend on it, so you can't run one without the other.

However! - We can modify the canon access library service to no longer depend on the SSDP service – which it doesn’t need in the first place!

1 - open regedit
    2 - goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\C CALib8
    3 - double click on DependOnService
    4 - delete the second line "SSDPSRV"
    5 - close regedit
    6 – open up services (start->run>services.msc)
    7 – stop the SSDP Discovery Service
    8 – done

Congratulations, you have won a battle against the hackers and made the net slightly safer.

p.s. as I understand it UPNP was created by people who wanted firewalls to open up incoming ports automatically for things like NAT traversal. Unfortunately, as we know, the bad people will always use things like this to bolster their bot fleets. Good luck.

I went into my registry and i dont even have C CALib8 in there.

am i safe? mine works but if i uninstall the canon software i can still just transfer files from the camera with a card reader or when it shows up in my computer as a removable drive.

I just use the canon software because it sorts the images into dated folders.
    My camera gear Found on e-bay.

Lightbulb

Ok, I was having similar problems (but not the same) problems with CameraWindow and ZoomBrowser EX with my PowerShot A640 on Windows.

Symptoms: In short, CameraWindow and ZoomBrowser EX silently fail to connect to the camera. When you plug in you camera, the CameraWindow program does not open. If you manually try to launch CameraWindow, nothing seems to happen. If you locate the file "C:\Program Files\Canon\CameraWindow\CameraWindowDVC6\CameraLa uncher.exe", select, and hold down Enter to repeatedly launch it, Task Manager shows several CameraLauncher.exe processes quickly appearing and disappearing. ZoomBrowser EX does open but does not connect the camera (selecting Connect To Camera buttons does nothing or closes a window).

Solution (on my PC):
    You need to start the "Canon Camera Access Library 8" service. To do this (on XP, other Windows OSes are similar) you need to:
    1. Right-click on "My Computer" and select "Manage"
    2. Click the + sign in front of "Services and Applications"
    3. Click on "Services"
    4. Right-click on "Canon Camera Access Library 8" and select "Start"

Note: if "Start is greyed out, then it is already running and this solution will not fix the problem for you.

tartan Guest

CameraWindow problem

Quote Originally Posted by LouisHirst View Post
    Folks the SSDP Discovery Service is bad because it opens up a vulnerability in windows. I'm not here to make you scared or paranoid, it's just a fact that UPNP could be used by a hacker to exploit your computer. Simply put, UPNP allows someone to establish a connection to your computer without you knowing - which is never good. The root of this problem is that the canon camera access library 8 service wants to depend on it, so you can't run one without the other.

However! - We can modify the canon access library service to no longer depend on the SSDP service – which it doesn’t need in the first place!

1 - open regedit
    5 - close regedit
    8 – done

Congratulations, you have won a battle against the hackers and made the net slightly safer.

p.s. as I understand it UPNP was created by people who wanted firewalls to open up incoming ports automatically for things like NAT traversal. Unfortunately, as we know, the bad people will always use things like this to bolster their bot fleets. Good luck.
    ---------------------
    Had same problem of CameraWindow not starting. After reloading software and Selective Startup still did not work. Called Canon Support -- we did a Selective Startup, then ran services.msc. Canon Camera Access Library 8 was not started. When I tried to start it, got error 106. At this point Canon Support said that the problem was a Microsoft problem and I should consult the Microsoft website. They had me so close, but left me really hanging.

After a few hours of getting nowhere with the Microsoft KB related to error 1068, I searched the internet and found this thread and the above answer. Verified that the SSDP Discovery Service was disabled, made the change to the registry as described above, rebotted and Wolla!

THANK YOU LouisHirst!!!!!!:)

PatDowns Guest
    My thanks also to LouisHurst. My symptoms were that Camerawindow would not start. Also, I was trying to use an application from Canon called "ZoomBrowswer EX" (it came with my Elura 100) that itself uses Camerawindow. Needless to say, unless the service is started the symptoms you get are variations of nothing happening. For instance, I would select "Acquire Image" in ZoomBrowser EX and I'd be immediately returned to the main menu.

I would add that after following the instructions from Louis you must boot the computer. Also, be careful when you are editing the two-line DependOnService entry that you only delete the second line. When you first double click on the DependOnService entry both lines will be selected.

Thank you so much LouisHurst!!!

Marke Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisHirst View Post

1 - open regedit
    5 - close regedit
    8 – done

Thanks Louis
    I spent about 4 hours Christmas day trying to unload both my new SD900 and
    my old S30 Canon cameras after upgrading Zoombrowser EX. The fix works great. I had UPNP disabled using the "unplug and pray" freefile from grc.com
    Turning UPNP back on verified for me that I had the problem described.
    Thanks again
    Marke