Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question CameraWindow problem?

Hi everyone.

I've just got my first digital camera, the A520, wanted something relatively inexpensive and functional and am very pleased with it so far. Have helped other people with their cameras and am reasonably computer literate but have been having problems connecting the camera to my PC (am using XP Home).

I had some other (Nikon) digital camera software installed, which I completely removed before installing the provided Canon software.

I did the standard installation, restarted, followed instructions to the letter, and after plugging camera in and switching on (in 'play' mode), waited.

The CameraWindow event dialog doesn't automatically open, but the CameraWindow launcher appears in the taskbar as though it's trying to.

If you go >Programs >Canon Utilities >CameraWindow or open ZoomBrowser EX and try 'acquire', it says 'CameraWindow already running. Start aborted' - as though CW is open already, it's just not visible on my screen!

Clicking (left, right or double) on the taskbar icon doesn't do anything either, nothing opens, no menu or window, zip!

In 'My Computer', the camera is recognised as 'Canon Powershot A520', asking for camera properties gives 'The imaging device is busy, or may be in use by another application. You may cancel or continue to wait for the device to become available'.

The Microsoft Scanner/Camera wizard when launched tries to communicate and says 'The scanner or camera is in use. Please try again later'. By this point, the 'launcher' icon has vanished, but if you try to open CameraWindow manually, reappears and again, nothing else seems to happen!

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

I haven't got a cardreader at the moment, but if I pop the SD card into my PDA I can download my pics via that with no problem (just a bit slower), but I'm a bit mystified. I have uninstalled everything and tried again, and I've restarted half a dozen times but no luck.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Lauren

I have had this EXACT same problem with my new SD300. Help would be very much appreciated!

Lightbulb No luck so far..

Well, I contacted the Canon helpdesk and explained the problem, and they replied with:

'After connecting the camera and letting Zoombrowser open, or opening it manually, press the blue Direct Transfer button on the camera. This will override any problems with the Camera Window program, and should start the download.'

Tried that, didn't work - nothing happens when I press this button - so contacted them again, saying this, and their next suggestions were:

'Please ensure that you connect the device directly to a USB port and not via an external hub or adaptor.

You could also uninstall and reinstall the software to rule out a software issue.

If the problem persists you could install and test it on a second PC to rule out a hardware fault.'

I'd tried all of those, all of my USB ports are direct but changing port didn't make a difference either. I haven't had a chance to try it on a second PC, but will do when I get access to another. In the meantime I'm doing the slightly ridiculous routine of putting the SD card into my PDA and downloading the pictures onto my PC from the card via the PDA!

I should add that the CameraWindow occasionally pops up, but when it does, it is always empty - it displays no options for programs to launch.

ditto

Yep, same here. Irritating, isn't it? I've deleted any other photo-imaging/camera software on my computer too.

I tried plugging my camera into another PC, and it worked. The CameraWindow popped up, with a number of programs to select from. I chose one and the photos loaded successfully. Does this mean that the problem is with my computer, or my software, or my USB port, or what? I've also plugged in my brother's Nikon to my computer and the CameraWindow has successfully appeared with a number of options.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software a number of times. When I try to run Camera Wizard, it says the camera is in use.

Would my results be any different with a card reader?

same here

I'm having the same problem. Works on every other computer just fine. Anyone have a fix yet?

Fix

I found something that worked for me. I had tried uninstalling my USB ports, reinstalling the software. None of that worked. Here's what did: I deleted the USB registry for the camera, and let it reinstall. To do this, click start, go to run, and type regedit. Then go to HK_LOCAL_MACHINE - then System - Then Current Control Set - Then Unum - Then USB. Then keep expanding all the folders under USB and as you click on the different items on the right, you'll see that each one is for some USB Perephrial you've plugged in to your USB ports. Find the one for your Canon Camera, (mine was Vid_04a9&Pid_30b5, but this may vary) and delete the entire folder for the entry. In order to do this, I had to right click on the folder and choose 'permissions' and then check 'allow full control'. Then restart, your camera should reinstall the next time you connect it and turn it on. Good luck!

Unhappy :(

Just tried that - camera reinstalled.. nothing happened.. so I launched CameraWindow via the Start Menu.. took a long time to do anything, with the CameraWindow Launcher sitting in the taskbar.. then the CameraWindow appeared but no programs were listed in the window (this happened previously too).

Hi,
    Try this once. All software in. Keep the camera on. And restart the computer with Camera on. See the Windows explorer if the camera is recognized. Camera Window also should open.