Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: new to digital

Hybrid View

Smile new to digital

Hi,
    I would like to ask SPEAKLIGHTLY for advice . What digital camera would you recommend that's good for low light stage performances and concerts ? I would like to stay under $350 . Thank you as I value your knowledge .

Try sending her a personal message - she is very helpfull and knowledgable
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

dawaters-

The only digital camera available in the price range that you have specified might be the Fuji F-10 which has the ability to use up to a maximum of ISO 1600. I use the term "might" because while I just received the F-10 today, I have not attempted and stage lighting digital photos.

I have attached a sample photo taken with just room lighting provided by a table lamp and no flash, using ISO 1600. Keep in mind this is only a 3X optical zoom camera and as as the camera zooms out to its maximum optical zoom the available aperture is reduced from its wide angle position setting of F 2.8 to F 5.0 at full zoom of 3X.

I won't say that stage lighting digital photos are possible or impossible with the Fuji F-10, until I try it. Success will certainly depend to a large degree on the amount and color of the light that is on the stage when the photos are taken. The aperture reduction at the full 3X optical zoom will also restrict the ability of the camera to take good stage lighting photos. I believe that the Fuji F-10 will probably be able to take stage photos but I can not say for sure until I have actually taken some.

Keep in mind that, I went to using a dSLR for stage lighting shots because dSLR cameras have higher ISO nembers available and suffer much less aperture deminishment.

Sarah Joyce
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sarah, is that a downsampled image or a 100% crop? For ISO 1600, it looks incredible! F5.0 is a problem, though. I really wish Fuji would put that CCD in a S5100-style camera, and soon!
    Last edited by Balrog; 05-17-2005 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Balrog
    I really wish Fuji would put that CCD in a S5100-style camera, and soon!
    Man...I'll second that! Actually, if they could do 12xw/IS, lcd that gains up, and full manual controls including focusing, and put it in something the size of the 5100, I'd dump all my cameras to buy that one!

PhilR.

Phil and Balrog-

Yep, that is a 100% crop. It is the second digital photo taken with the F-10 after I received it today. No, it will not replace dSLR cameras but it sure does probably open a whole new generation of digital point and shoot digital cameras.

Sarah Joyce