Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

The best of ultra small?

Hey guys. Thanks in advance for the help. I already have a Canon 10D and an older Nikon Coolpix 5400, but these cameras are not practical for on-the-go. Size is the most important factor, then quality (of the camera construction and the photos). Now I will answer the questions below.

Budget - This is the least important factor. Anything under $1000 is acceptable, but I don't think that I will need to spend anything near that.

Size - The smallest of the small.

Features - At least 4-5 megapixels. The longer zoom the better, but I suspect I'll be hard pressed to get anything more than the standard 3-4x. Image quality is extremely important. (I'm not expecting pics like I get with my 10D). After size, image quality and camera quality are the most important features.

Battery life is probably the next important thing. I am willing, however, to carry an extra battery.

No manual controls necessary. This is primarily a point and shoot, take it on the go, easy to use camera.

It will be used in all situations, but for nothing specific. Wherever my travels take me.

In cameras I tend to lean towards Canon/Nikon, Sony electronics are nice - but I don't think their cameras are as good as Canons.

I was looking at the DSC-T1, DSC-T33, and DSC-T7, mostly because of the Zeiss lens, but I figure the SD300/400 would be a better camera. I think the SD500 might be a little too fat... I would rather stay closer to the size of the SD400.

No special features are necessary.

what about the Oly mju 410?

Or Nikon coolpix 5900.
    It's quite fast enough for a compact, and not too compact to be handle easy but could easily stay in your pocket...

Challett-

I normally shoot with a Canon EOS 20D, and have been using a Pentax S5i as my take anywhere, in the pocket, digital camera. However, I just ordered a Fuji F-10 due to it ability to nuse ISO's up to 1600 and its extremely long battery life. Read the review at dpreview. Its rather impressive.

Sarah Joyce

Narrowing down...

So, here is where I am at so far.

I think that I have ruled out all the Sonys because of their completely useless flash. I realize that the others aren't great, but I've heard that they are better in low light situations.

And, I've ruled out the SD500 and Fuji F10 because of size - I'm trying to keep it to the 0.8in thickness.

That leaves me with the SD400 and the Pentax S5i. I've always been a Canon promoter, but I'm curious what other people think.

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris-

I have attached a Pentax S5i sample that was posted previously and you may want to wait for a month or so and the Pentax S5z will be out.

Sarah Joyce
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The S5i has one thing about it that made it impossible for me to use...the location of the shutter release button. Try before you buy...

Quote Originally Posted by challett
    That leaves me with the SD400 and the Pentax S5i. I've always been a Canon promoter, but I'm curious what other people think.
    I think you should at least consider the Nikon S1 before you buy. I believe that it's thickness is under your desired spec.

PhilR.

I primarily shoot with a Canon 350D but carry the T7 as a point and shoot. How long do you need your flash coverage to be? I've got some single subject flash shots taken with the T7 up on my pbase site if you'd like to take a look:

www.pbase.com/woodbetweenworlds

Good luck with your decision.