Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Sony V3 or Canon G6?

have done much research and have found most top reviewing sites giving me info that is pretty similar.....the only negative with the V3 is that people say the aperature gets moved to f8 very easily.....but the sony is to be much faster in shutter speed and focus....

help...want to order this tomorrow so i have it by thursday but don't know which one to get..

btw...purchased a canon powershot pro1 and hate it! can't count on it taking good pics so i don't use it....still sticking with my trusty fujifilm 2800 (2MP!)...takes great shots but want something to upgrade with.

thanks.

one note...what i will be using my camera for is photos at the zoo (in the camera club) and landscape shots....sometimes moving animals or birds......

so...keep that in mind when giving me your advice

boxgirl73-

I own and use a Canon G-6 extensively and have used a friends Sony V-3 recently on a two week vacation. The two camera are very similar. Yes, the Sony V-3 will focus just a tiny bit faster than the Canon G-6. You could not go wrong with either digital camera, they are excellent.

If you want to see some wonderful macro or close-up shots of flowers using the Sony V-3, go to the perpetual flower thread in the Photo Gallery folder and tsake a look at the photos posted by Jeff31. He posted more photos today (05/17). And if you would like I will be happy to post G-6 examples as well.

The biggest element in your post that has me scratching my head is that you want to use either the V-3 or the G-6 to take photos of zoo animals. I have been a professional photographer for over 50 years and when you say "zoo animals" I automatically think of a long zoom digital camera which neither the V-3 or the G-6 really are at all.

I would think that the very highly rated and optically stabilized Panasonic FZ series digital cameras, with their 12X of optical zoom, which are in the very same price range, would be much more useful for digital photos of zoo animals. I may be very wrong and I am sure you already have a lot of experience.

I am attaching an animal digital photo that was taken with an Olympus C-765, a 10X optical zoom digital camera selling on the internet for about $260. The photo was taken using a monopod at 7X optical zoom, just so you have a sample of what a longer zoom digital camera is capable of when taking animal digital photos.

Sarah Joyce
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you for the pic...amazing clarity and colors!

Thanks for the info....i know the two are similar....will be a tough decision.

BoxGirl-

Personally, I think the real issue, perhaps, is that you may indeed need more zoom. That is what I was attempting to demonstrate with the photo of the squirrel at 7X optical zoom. The Canon Pro-1 I know does have some focusing issues, but with enough light it should focus quite nicely for you.

Sarah Joyce

decided to go with the sony V3.....let's hope i like THIS one!

Sony V-3

Boxgirl-

Congratulations! The Sony V-3 is an excellent choice and should serve you well. Certainly Jeff31's flower macros, taken with the V-3 are almost pieces of art.

Sarah Joyce

hope mine turn out as well as his......just hope i don't need all the additional flashes, etc.....not familiar with how to use all of the addt'l equipment.

Boxgirl-

As you take more photos, you learn and refine your skills. I have been a professional for over 50 years, and I am still polishing and refining by photographic skills everyday. That is how you get better.

Sarah Joyce