Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Need an upgrade

Need an upgrade

well I just had a nikon 885. It served me well for what I was doing but I want something more and more compact i guess. The main part i didn't like was the between shot delays. It look like 3 secs after taking one shot. I would like to find something with quicker response. I'm not looking for anything fancier then what I had but I would like a bit more compact so I could carry it around my pocket with more comfort.

So i'm looking for of the following... hope you guys could help me out

comfort in pocket
    4-5 mega pixel
    less delay between shots

Certainly the Canon SD-500, the Pentax small camera series such as the S5i and S5z, as weill as the Fuji F-10 falll into that category.

Sarah Joyce

If you like the layout and controls of your nikon, why not the nikon 5900? Great lens, nice big 2" screen, long life lithium battery and I believe it comes packaged with a free leather case!
    Steve
    DJWallofsound
    www.djwallofsound.smugmug.com

Yeah, i own a coolpix 5900, and i can tell you they have really improved speed of action (i own a 2200 before)
    Less than 1s to turn on/off, same to shoot. Only the flash is still requiering less then 2s to recharge.
    The size is compact, with good handling (vs the ixus serie which i couldn't feel comfortable to handle)

Anyway try it & decide by yourself, but i think it's one of the best very compact dc.

Thanks for the replys guys. I'll check out the recommendations and see. I did like the functions of the nikon and i know nikon has quality behind there name.

I was looking between the nikon 5900 and the canon A95... and canon is looking better to me. The only problem I see is the display size and the overall size of the camera. What do you guys think?

The Canon A-95 is surely a competent, highly reviewed, digital camera that also offers an articulated LCD which appeals to a lot of users. However, the Nikon 5900 might offer a bit more in terms of speed, features, and newer design. The red-eye fix and the d-lighting features work well. The Nikon 5900 can compete as well with not only the Canon A-95, which it exceeds, but also with the newer Canon SD-500, which tells a lot about its rather impressive design improvements. There is an excellent review of the Nikon 5900 right on this website, by our own, Jeff Keller. Check it out, please. It is well worth reading.

Sarah Joyce
    Last edited by speaklightly; 05-16-2005 at 09:13 AM.

I just went to check out the nikon 5900 and I must say I was very impressed. I love the size, display size and the quick reponse after each shot. The only problem I had with after examining the camera was it sorta felt like it was almost a toy. I felts certain things loose like the button. Anybody have any problems with anything yet?

spec74-

Certainly the Fuji F-10 is another alternative. It is a brand new digital camera utilizing a new sensor and able to utilize very high ISO numbers (as high as ISO 1600) with very little noise.

I have attached a sample digital photo taken using just normal table lamps in our living room and NO FLASH. The result is amazing and it is a 100% crop.

Sarah Joyce
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for all the help speaklightly. I'll go check it out. And I'll check out the nikon once more. I did really like the nikon like you suggested.