Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Olympus E300 vs Canon Digital Rebel

Hm.. after playing with the E300 for about 2 hours I am liking it a lot. Possibly because it was the first and only Digital SLR I have used so far, but in my hands the Olympus felt much sturdier than the Digital Rebel or even the XT. I'm interested in the 4/3rds system and the supersonic sensor thing, but after reading reviews it seems as if the image processing is not as advanced as the Canons' and so the picture quality suffers.

But the real reason is that I am so interested can get an Olympus E300, 14-45mm kit lens, and the 40-150mm for a pretty good price of $979 dollars at a local store.

i also played with the Canon Powershot Pro1 and the G6, the Panasonic FZ20 and FZ5. I liked the Pro1 a lot, but I just felt cramped using the ring zoom. Maybe I'd get used to it. But for 600 bucks, I'd rather save it for a dSLR. The G6 was nice, but it just didn't feel right. Maybe because it is because it is being overshadowed by all these more expensive cameras. Haha. FZ20 is awesome, F2.8 12x zoom really is useful. The FZ5 was A LOT smaller, but although sturdy, it felt too plastiky for my liking.

all that said, any of these cameras would be better than my SD300 right now. full automatic is frustrating!

size: does not matter, just not 1dsmarkII size i guess.
    price: take it easy, i'm a high school student, i don't have an income. but i am definitely willing to spend up to 1000 dollars (with a kit lens at least)
    megapixels: good picture quality > more megapixels (so if the Digital Rebel's picture quality is better than the E300s, DR's 6 > E300's 8)
    zoom: give me your best shot
    what will i be doing? learning the art of photography. from shooting (photographs of) people to blades of grass in New York. versatile is good. picture quality is better. I like to play with DOF (especially with people). i am an amateur, maybe not even that, so I am a newbie so hopefully the interface is not confusing. i want to look as much as a tourist as possible. HAHA. i will be trying to take quality pictures of anything I can find.

i think I have narrowed it down to dSLRs but if any of you have any other recommendations (dSLR or not) please don't keep quiet. if there is a good value (money to quality of photos) I am willing to listen.

i know the "a good camera is not a free ride to good photo quality" so I am willing to learn and I think it'd be worth it over getting a prosumer point and shoot.

if any of you want to IM me with recommendations, my AIM screenname is "iamwhor3hay". thanks a bunch.

MrForgetable-

I certainly know how it is to be a kid in high school who loves photography. That was me. If it is any consolation or possibly an inspiration to you, I went on to be a Boeing 747 Captain for a major U.S. Airline and a professional photographer who conducts workshops all over the world.

I have closely watched the Olympus E-300 because I really like Olympus digital cameras and have many of them. At the end of my investigation, I decided to opt for the Pentax 1stDS, which is also priced just as well as the Oly E-300 two lens package.

Perhaps it is just my own particular interests, I am not sure. I specialize in travel photos and stage performance/concert type photos. The concert type photos and some of the travel photos require a digital camera capable of operating well within many types of low light venues. Unfortunately, the E-300 will ocassionally work well in a low light environment, but not consistently, day after day.

Because of that I went to the Pentax 1stDS, which has proved to be a very capable digital camera.

Sarah Joyce

I would recommend the ist DS as suggested above or the Canon Rebel as you suggested, over the E300... The nikon D70 would also be a good choice although at least where I live (Australia) it is somewhat more expensive (that may be different in you area)...

This is just personal preference, but if you prefer a shallow as possible DOF, you will find the 2x crop factor will actually give a less shallow DOF than the 1.5 or 1.6 crop factor at the same apertures... You can approximate the 35mm DOF equivelant by taken the f stop say 2 and multiply it by the crop factor... So a lens with aperture of 2 on the e300 will give you the equivelant DOF of a f4 lens on 35mm photography... on a 1.5 crop camera it will give you the equivelant of f3.. This is simplified it is a little more complicated than that, but it is a good way to calculate a quick approximation... (http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html gives accurate calculations)..

If you want to do a lot of high ISO photography, you may also find the e300 a little poorer than the other DSLRs mentioned... This is not to say the e300 is a bad camera just that high ISO is not its major strength. If not an important factor to you and you don't mind the slight difference in DOF then the E300 is a good choice too...

Remember people will generally recommend the camera they use, this is not necessarily the one best for you... So try them all and check the features/functions of each. Then you can choose the one best suited to YOU, they are all quality photographic tools...
    Last edited by jeisner; 05-16-2005 at 05:53 PM.
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I looked at all of the cameras and my decision is hinging on:

AA batteries just in case or not

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    I looked at all of the cameras and my decision is hinging on:

AA batteries just in case or not
    For the forseeable future, that's only Pentax until somebody (probably Canon or Nikon) introduces a cheap, sub-$500 DSLR. I see it coming within a year though.

By the way, you might want to fix the typo in your Location profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    Fromerly South Wales
    Last edited by Rex914; 05-16-2005 at 06:28 PM.

Rex-

I really do like you vision of a AA powered dSLR! I will be waiting.

Sarah Joyce

I'm already there
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II

i didn't get to try the D70.

i'm just frustrated about concentrating on ergonomics or concentrating better photo quailty/more features. if i was concentrating on ergonomics, i'd pick the one that feels closest to the 20D. Out of the Digital Rebel, Digital Rebel XT, and E-300 the E-300 feels nicest (good balance, heft) in my hands even though it looks boxy. If I needed to concentrate on features, I'd pick the XT although it may be a little bit too small.

another thing is expandability. i feel the canon and nikons all I have more 3rd party support and more lenses to choose from. of course this may be a bad thing. the Zuiko lenses are very high quality, but there aren't very many to choose from that are in anyway affordable. i have some time to think about this.

I'll have to look at the *ist DS also. i just heard the kit lens wasn't that good and that's probably what I'd be using until I can get some more lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by MrForgetable
    I'll have to look at the *ist DS also. i just heard the kit lens wasn't that good and that's probably what I'd be using until I can get some more lenses.
    The kit lens on the Pentax is rather good when compared to the competition kit lenses..
    ------

Quote Originally Posted by jeisner
    The kit lens on the Pentax is rather good when compared to the competition kit lenses..
    i see. what is a good moderate to long telephoto lens like the 40-150mm on the Olympus for the *ist Ds? I may be weird, but I kind of like rechargable lithium-ions instead of AAs.