Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Help me to buy a camera, A95vs Pentax Mx4

Dear members:

I was about to buy a Canon A 95 since a lot of people give it possitive comments.
    But yesterday I changed my decision after I attended a graduation ceremony. I used my friend's A95 and took some pics for him. Unfortunately, the optical zoom of 3x is so short that I could not take pics of the stages. Now I decide to look for a camera with longer zoom./

The problem is that my budget is only 300 USD. I have to trade off between the resolution and zoom length. I find Pentax Mx4 with resolution of 4.1 Mpx and optical zoom of 10x whose price is only around 250 USD.

I need your advice on my decision. Technically, do you think the resolution of 5 Mpx is extremely better than the resolution of 4.1x? I read somewhere that the quality of the pix is slightly different.

Pentax is not a leading camera manufacturer, and according to cnet, Pentax 4mx is not very good.
    If you know any better camera whose zoom is bigger than 10x and resolutions is about 4.1Mpx, plz recommend me.

I am looking forward to your reply,
    Thank you .

Cool Re: Help me to buy a camera, A95vs Pentax Mx4

I found a review of the Pentax MX4 at Steve's Digicams. If you haven't read this review, do so, as it's not a great review, particularly criticizing the camera's speed (or lack of it) in auto-focusing. The camera has a "movie camera" kind of configuration with no optical or EVF viewfinder, which I would strongly miss, but your taste may vary. Also, as a long zoom lens, the camera lacks image stabilization, very handy when you're shooting in relatively low light. I might suggest as an alternative the Panasonic DMC-FZ4, a 4MP, 35-420mm zoom camera with image stabilization, and much faster shooting properties than the MX4 seems to have. I don't know what its price is in your area of the world, but it would be worth finding out. Also, the older-model FZ3 would likely do the job for you as well, and might be more readily and cheaply available. I wouldn't worry too much about the number of megapixels; you'll be perfectly satisfied, resolution-wise, with anything of 3MP or more.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Pentax MX and MX4

chinabooter-

I certainly do agree with John Reed. The Panasonic FZ series would be my first choice, followed by the Olympus C-765, and the Konica-Minolta Z-3 as the final choice.

Sarah Joyce

Thank you very much for your advice. However they are rather expensive to me since I have only 300 USD. I live in the USA and price of a DMC-FZ4 is around 460 USD.

WOW Olympus C-765 has a reasonable price of around 255 USD. bUt what is the type of memory card for Olympus C-765? Thanks
    Last edited by chinabooter; 05-16-2005 at 06:29 AM.

Chinabooter-

The Olympus C-765 is a digital camera with some limitations, but in all but very low light situations takes very sharp and finely detailed digital photos. There is an excellent combined review of the C-765 and the C-770 right on this website done by our own, Jeff Keller. The C-770 is the big brother to the C-765 and it is only about $25 (US dollars) more expensive.

Both digital cameras use the XD chip. Prices on the XD chips have fallen substantially on the internet. So it does fit within your budget, and it will be a much better digital camera than the Pentax MX-4 which I have used a lot.

Sarah Joyce