Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Lenses and Filters

I am new to DSLR cameras and recently I bought a Canon EF 75-300 IS USM lens to go with my new Rebel XT. To help protect the lens I also got a Cokin UV filter.
    Well the image results were poor ( soft ) until I removed the filter, now the images are fine.
    What I'm wondering is, would it be a poor quality filter that is causing the problem of soft images or is it the way this lens auto focus works with any filter attached?
    I'm happy to purchase a "quality" filter to protect the lens, however it would be a waste of time and $$$ if the images just turn out to be soft again.

I'll direct you to a thread I started a few days ago: UV/Polarizer Filter Comparison and heres another article on the subject: The Filter Flare Factor

Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS| Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon Speedlite 430EX + Sto-Fen Omni Bounce | Manfrotto 3001BD & 680B/486RC2 | Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Digital Filters | Hitech ND & GND Filters | Bags > Kata R-103 + Lowepro Nova 5 AW

RawShooter | premium 2006 > My PBase Gallery

the higher quality the filter, the better the results. Usually unless you have to use it I would recommend taking it off. The polarizer filter may double as a color saturator/light intensity reducer and lens element protector.

But once again, for normal picture taking I would take the filters off.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

BlueDog and Juan-

I agree that filters are, in most cases, not needed. However, when you live directly on the ocean (it less that 120 feet away from where I am sitting), you can see lens coatings affected quite measurably over a period of time of about a year.

Sarah Joyce