Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

RAW Processing, Software, Tips, & Tricks

OK. Let's see if this one flies.

What RAW processor do you use? and why?
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

I use RSE. I used to use C1 but found RSE loads faster and is faster to do quick conversions. I don't like ACR for some reason.

I have not tried bibble though.

Here is a tip.
    When working with a raw file that has some under/over exposure, do some digital blending by overexposing a copy, then underexposing a copy, then open all three in photoshop and tweak the layers as necessary. I have found that I this works great when I do not take the initiative to do exposure bracketing.
    RAW sure is great!
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm

Until last night I was using CS2, before that Bibble (well for the demo period) and CS before that... But last night I tried C1 as they added DS support, and I like it a lot, I will keep using it for a while, I think I will buy it from my testing so far...

I just find CS a bit dull, and it takes more effort to 'bring the photos to life'... I know it sounds vague, it is hard to explain... Bibble and C1 just feel better...

Your right Ob1, C1 is a little slow, although not as slow as Photoshop...
    Last edited by jeisner; 05-12-2005 at 06:57 PM.
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

I'm preferring RSE @ the moment for the ability to really tweak the image details. The built in Noise Cleaner is nice for ISO 1600 images. The Canon DPP is quick but quite limited in what you can do. I prefer to get my RAW stuff as close as possible without relying too much on PSE 2.

Phase One LE works very good too but maybe not for $59.00 ...

Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS| Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon Speedlite 430EX + Sto-Fen Omni Bounce | Manfrotto 3001BD & 680B/486RC2 | Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Digital Filters | Hitech ND & GND Filters | Bags > Kata R-103 + Lowepro Nova 5 AW

RawShooter | premium 2006 > My PBase Gallery

I have just started to use Nikon Capture (free trial copy) and the one really nice feature, for Sigma 18-125 users is the de-vignetting feature. Plus it is actually pretty darned good for Nikon users.

I have used the Adobe RAW plug-in, RSE, and even IRfanview. I need to use Nikon Capture a little more before making the $99 commitment.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Sorry I haven't been more active here recently; between work and the learning curve (yes, RAW processors!), I haven't had much time. In addition, I've promised myself not to take too many more pictures before I get a new workflow established, since with the addition of new RAW and TIFF files has caused my hard disc real estate to shrink like the national budget surplus.

Currently, I'm experimenting with only two processors: RSE, currently free, as everyone knows, and Silkypix, a Japanese program that has gotten quite a bit of exposure over on the DP Review Oly SLR forum. I decided that since I read Japanese, I'd be foolish not to investigate it a bit closer. So I got the preview version (good for two weeks' use) several weeks ago, and as of a few hours ago, I plunked down my money for the registered version--but I haven't done much more than play with it.
    I have also experimented with Olympus's Master--the free photo-management and conversion program that came with my E-300, but its conversion features are really only for folks who want the minumum of features--in fact, my real feeling is that if someone is satisfied with Master, they shouldn't be shooting RAW anyway, and should go back to JPEG, since the E-300's are quite good (so why am I here? ).

Since I mentioned Oly Master (I'm using the Japanese version), my specific complaints about it are these:

1. Slow as molasses in January.
    If you want to move an adjustment slider say ten points in one direction, you apparently* have to wait for the computer to update each incremental unit along the way. That takes about five seconds each on my computer. By the time youíve gotten to your destination, youíve forgotten what the original looked like, making it hard to make any subjective comparison in your mind regarding the changes.
    <*I say ďapparentlyĒ since I havenít read the instructions, and donít know if thereís a way to speed things up. Iíll have to look into that, but the default is SLOW. >

2. The range of controls is simply too trivial. You canít really adjust much.
    I should point out that the Master software package has drawn praise for its other functions (photo organization, etc.), but at this point it doesnít fulfill my needs for a RAW converter.

Since Iím still firmly on the upside of the learning curve, I'm going to stick with the two programs RSE and Silkypix for the present, since I feel itís probably counter-productive to continually shift between lots of new programs (especially when they cost $$$) until I learn the basics of how to operate at least one or two properly. Which at this point means RSE and Silkypix as I read through the manuals and try and get a hold of just what's going on.

One difficulty is that both these programs (and others obviously) provide lots of controls, but theyíre implemented differently, so itís hard to know just how to get the same kind of results from them. For example, RSE has a ďfill lightĒ control which is great for bringing up the shadows in underexposed shots. Silkypix doesnít have that specific control, although it has other controls that are missing on RSE.

What I like about these programs:
    1. Both are relatively fast. RSE is far and away the speediest, but there are things that can be done with Silkypix defaults to speed up the update process, so itís not bad. For me, one important feature is the ability to swing rapidly through great shifts of slider range to see the overall impact on the appearance, thus giving me a better subjective idea of the basic place to set the slider (then I edge up on the final point using fine increments).

2. Both provide a good thumbnail view that allows me to view and flag shots for the initial triage stage. Itís fairly easy to switch between views, although RSE has the advantage there. Silkypix doesnít provide sufficient keyboard shortcuts IMO for operations I like to do. But itís still not at all bad.

3. At this stage of experimentation Silkypix seems to make it easier to achieve the colors I like, particularly in the greens. For some reason, I have trouble getting RSE to produce really nice greens that satisfy me. Iím still experimenting, though, and anticipating further updates.

4. According to at least one Japanese review Iíve read, Silkypix has a better sharpening algorithm than either Olympus Master or Olympus Studio (limited to testing images from the E-300) .

What I donít like:
    1. Iíve already mentioned the bit of trouble Iíve had with colors in RSE. I admit, Iíve used only JPEG the past five years so RAW is all new to me, and the difficulty may just be my own unfamiliarity with how to best operate and utilize these programs--which is why Iím trying to spend some ďquality timeĒ learning more about the process before rushing to rash criticism.

2. In RSE, I donít care too much for the ďappearanceĒ control, since the settings are implemented entirely behind the scenes, and the user is given no idea of how the results are arrived at. In that sense, Silkypix is nice, since when you select an ďappearanceĒ setting, it is reflected in visible changes of all the other relevant controlsí slider positions.

3. I also wish RSE had the ability to display JPEGS and TIFFs in the thumbnails. I understand the rationale for not doing so (ďthis is a RAW converter, not a JPEG handler!Ē), but I still wish they were shown for one reason: In this testing stage, at least, I still sometimes shoot RAW + SHQ (JPEG) and during my initial culling process it would be nice to have the option of deleting all the frames associated with a given bad shot, instead of just the RAW images. As it is, I have to make a note of what shots Iím deleting and then go back and delete the JPEGs manually.

In RSE's defense, I should say that the addition of Michael Tapes to the Pixmantec team has already proved an important step. He's answered a number of questions on the RSE forum regarding specific features of the program, so I'm assuming that things can only get better. Assuming the improvements keep on coming and it's competitively priced, I'll rush to buy the commercial version when it appears.
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

RSE and Photochop CS2 are the main ones, I like RSE just for fast viewing of the days shots, but prefer Photochop's Bridge as it's less hassle if it needs editing.

I'm still a fan of PSP, but the RAW converter isn't one of it's best points.
    All the best, Paul.
    Kodak DC3200, CX6230, P850 + 0.7 W/A lens, P20 flash.
    Nikon N90s (35mm), D70 + Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 28-105mm f/4-5.6, Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Macro, Tokina 80-200mm f/2.8, Pheonix 100mm f3.5 1-1 Macro, Sigma 170-500mm f/5-6.3 APO.

Nikon F6 coming soon.....

New e-Book On RAW prcessing

There is a new e-book out from Uwe Steinmeuller called The Art of RAW Conversion if anyone is interested. I am ordering it just to see if it's worth $39.

I have a short version that came with my D70 iNova e-book but need more help so...

Here is the link.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/booklets...2/DOP3002.html
    Ha! See, I can change...

CS2.

Will be picking up Scott Kelby's new CS2 book ASAP. Also Bruce Fraser's Real World Camera RAW.

A great plugin is Fred Miranda's Velvia Vision. Really makes those photos 'pop'!

Nikon Capture - The best for your NEFs

Not only has it rich features, but also the calculation and manipulation is very well done.

I love D-lighting