Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Looks like I finally get a shot at the Nikkor 17-35 f2.8 this weekend, so I will post the review early next week. Looking forward to this one.

Still no luck on gettting a rental of the Nikkor 17-55 DX.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

AF or DX Lens?

I'm looking into buying a Nikon D50 camera, my only problem is figuring out which lens to buy for it. I currently have a Kodak point and shoot digital camera that has an add-on wide angle lens which I frequently use when traveling in order to capture monuments and buildings. The camera kit that I was looking at comes with a Nikkor AF 28-80mm lens. I asked the salesman at the camera store if I would be better off with a Nikkor DX 18-55mm lens since it would give me a wider angle for taking architectual and landscape photos. He told me that due to focal-length multiplier the DX 18mm is equivalent to the AF 28mm. I was under the impression that focal-length multiplier applied to all lenses, not just DX, but he told me that the AF 28-80mm would give me a true 28mm, and since it was $100 cheaper it would be a better deal. So now I'm completely confused! Which lens would would give me the capability of having a wide to normal range angle? Any info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Francesca

Quote Originally Posted by neon83
    I'm looking into buying a Nikon D50 camera, my only problem is figuring out which lens to buy for it. I currently have a Kodak point and shoot digital camera that has an add-on wide angle lens which I frequently use when traveling in order to capture monuments and buildings. The camera kit that I was looking at comes with a Nikkor AF 28-80mm lens. I asked the salesman at the camera store if I would be better off with a Nikkor DX 18-55mm lens since it would give me a wider angle for taking architectual and landscape photos. He told me that due to focal-length multiplier the DX 18mm is equivalent to the AF 28mm. I was under the impression that focal-length multiplier applied to all lenses, not just DX, but he told me that the AF 28-80mm would give me a true 28mm, and since it was $100 cheaper it would be a better deal. So now I'm completely confused! Which lens would would give me the capability of having a wide to normal range angle? Any info or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Francesca
    any lens you put on the camera will be affected by the crop factor. so that 28-80mm lens will become 42-120mm. if you want proof, go to the store, put on the 18-55 lens and shoot a pic at the 18mm mark on the lens. then stick the 28-80mm lens on the camera and shoot the same subject at 28mm mark. you will see a huge difference in focal length. either the guy means to say that it will work on a full frame/film camera and produce true 28mm there, or he is just confused. the DX will only work on cameras that have a 1.5x crop factor.
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

Uhm.. I guess this thread is as good a place as any..

I am a complete noob looking to purchase an DSLR.

From what I understand on my reading of this thread, Canon lenses are made specifically for certain Canon cameras and Nikon lenses for Nikon cameras etc.. So there is no chance of a Canon lens going on a Nikon camera etc?? or is there??

But what about thrid party brands like this sigma I keep hearing about??

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by umbalito99
    Uhm.. I guess this thread is as good a place as any..

I am a complete noob looking to purchase an DSLR.

From what I understand on my reading of this thread, Canon lenses are made specifically for certain Canon cameras and Nikon lenses for Nikon cameras etc.. So there is no chance of a Canon lens going on a Nikon camera etc?? or is there??

But what about thrid party brands like this sigma I keep hearing about??

thanks.
    I'm pretty sure that there is an adapter for Canon cameras that allows use of Nikon mount lenses. Good if you want to change to Canon and own Nikon lenses. Unfortunately, for Nikon, this has been a pretty common occurance.

Sorry i'm a Nikon guy at this point so don't know much about the adapter.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Question Which brand are those prime?

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    [FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3]F) Primes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Primes are the best bangs for the buck if you need them. You lose flexibility, but you gain it all back in sharpness (especially wide-open), low distortion, less lens flare, and less ghosting. Primes are superb for portraits. They are a must in poor lighting where flash isn't an option. I am only listing shorter primes here.

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX ($400) – A cheaper, sharper alternative to the expensive Canon 35 f/1.4 L. Contrast, bokeh, and color aren't as nice, but what is there to expect for a third of the price? If $400 is too much to spend, Canon and Nikon offer a cheaper 35mm f/2 lenses.

50mm f/1.8 (< $100)
    – Should be part of everybody’s collection. Period. If you use this prime a lot and you own a Canon body, step up to the f/1.4 version for the better build quality and better optics.

85mm f/1.8 ($350)
    – Ideal lens for portraits. Also works as a short range telephoto lens in low light. Step up to a f/1.2 or f/1.4 version if you desire the premium build quality or need that extra half stop.
    [COLOR=Green]

Rex, thank you for the lens guide.

Under Prime lens section, you list three prime lense with first one being Sigma. What brands are the other two lenses, which you didn't indicate?

Thanks

Canon or Nikon. If I don't specify the brand, assume it's from a first party like those two.

autobahn7 Guest

Great Guide - intermediate focal length question

This is the best analysis and guide for a DSLR beginner (like me) I've found on the net. Thanks.

I'm planning on stepping up from my digicam point and shoot to dSLR in the next couple of weeks. I'm going with the 20D (price and availability) and I like your recommendation "C" baby "L" (17-40mm f4/L and 70-200mm f4/L). Budget considerations (read: the wife) prevent an immediate jump into more expensive lenses.

I travel some and need the 17-40 for landscape shots and the 70-200 should be fine for outdoor sports (kids soccer).

Between these, my major requirement is for indoor sports with questionalble lighting. I can't find a recommendation for a solid zoom lense under $1000 that covers between the two f4/L's and that is good for indoors. Do I need to go with a couple of primes? I'd probably get the 50 f1.4 right away, but then I'm tapped out for a while. Would you recommend the 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.0, or the pricier 135 f/2.0 L as a future add?

Quote Originally Posted by autobahn7
    This is the best analysis and guide for a DSLR beginner (like me) I've found on the net. Thanks.

I'm planning on stepping up from my digicam point and shoot to dSLR in the next couple of weeks. I'm going with the 20D (price and availability) and I like your recommendation "C" baby "L" (17-40mm f4/L and 70-200mm f4/L). Budget considerations (read: the wife) prevent an immediate jump into more expensive lenses.

I travel some and need the 17-40 for landscape shots and the 70-200 should be fine for outdoor sports (kids soccer).

Between these, my major requirement is for indoor sports with questionalble lighting. I can't find a recommendation for a solid zoom lense under $1000 that covers between the two f4/L's and that is good for indoors. Do I need to go with a couple of primes? I'd probably get the 50 f1.4 right away, but then I'm tapped out for a while. Would you recommend the 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.0, or the pricier 135 f/2.0 L as a future add?
    you'll get a lot more responses if you start a new thread here: http://dcresource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

hey there - love this thread! So much info! But I was hoping to find some more info out on the older Sigma 100-300mm - the f/4.5-6.7 DL. I know it won't be great, but I can't afford the f/4 or the 120-300mm from Sigma. And it is either this one or the Pentax 100-300mm f/4.7-5.8...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. (also considering the sigma 70-300mm but don't like that much cross-over between lenses as have the 18-125)

Pat