Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Many thanks to you all for reading this and continuing to help me improve it.

Expect to see some updates to the guide this week. Prices will be changed to be more accurate. I'll refer to current camera models and also factor in new lenses that have come out in the past year. Lastly, I will add a little more coverage of higher end lenses in the $1k range that new users with a little more cash would be interested in looking at.
    Last edited by Rex914; 06-24-2008 at 12:54 PM.

I've updated the lens recommendation portion of the guide.

As a note to all - with prices rising everywhere, it's inevitable that lens prices have also been rising, and on average, prices for first party lenses have gone up 5%-10% in the past 6 months.

Alice_LJ Guest
    give a good answer and people get learn from that answer

I sometimes wonder what is a good lens to buy - from my Nikon angle, and considering a walkaround zoom: -
    Nikon - Hmm - sharp but spoilt by Chromatic abberations
    Sigma - Hmm - sharp but spoilt by colour cast/hue
    Tamrom - Hmm - sharp but dodgy auto focus

Maybe we are a little over critical at times!
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

This is a great resource! So a big thank you for posting this.

There is only one thing I would add to make things clear. In all the lens jargon, it's hard to see which third-party lens manufacturer has IS (Image Stabilisation in Canon-speak).

I am thinking of replacing my aging Rebel XT with the Canon EOS 50D and, contrary to the XT, the packages are quite different in terms of lenses offered to the buyer. Apart from the body-only option you can have the 50D with the Canon 28 - 135 mm IS USM or the 18 - 200 mm IS EF-S.

What I'm trying to figure out is if it wouldn't be better, price-wise, for me to pick the body-only option and get a third-party lens instead but the IS feature would be, for me, a must.

Like I was looking at FredMiranda third-party lens reviews for options and my head is still spinning. I'd rather rely on user reviews and experience instead of sales pitches, if you know what I mean.

Straight off I must delare I am not over familiar withthe Canon range of lenses
    simply because once I had chosen my Nikon I have just run with that and
    not taken so much notice of Canon lenses.
    That said - I am not at all biased one way or the other - simply my choice was more about what felt right for me.
    I understand that the kit lenses from Canon are nothing special - whereas
    the seperately bought up market ones are stunning - here I suspect Nikon's kit lenses nudge ahead - but up market i think it's the other way around - anyway -
    I would go for the body only and look around - try to try out a few different lenses. Sigma seem to work OK on Canon - I even suspect they are better on a Canon than on a Nikon...
    I really quite like Tamron - though I hear some of them are slower focus and they can feel plasticky - but all the results I have seen have looked really good to me. There is even an adaptor to fix Nikon lenses on a Canon camera!!!
    I think you need to decide what sort of range you want - then go and look up some reviews and finally go out and try a few out

Hi!
    GREAT guide.
    How about adding
    Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical
    (IF) MACRO?
    Sorry if this has been suggested before

That Tamron 18 - 270 would certainly cover a huge range and work for a walkaround lens -
    or
    If it's absolute quality you want - but still want a zoom - the Tamron 17 - 50 is excellent
    So - I reckon you need to decide on what range you require first - and do you want it in one lens or more...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler View Post
    Straight off I must delare I am not over familiar withthe Canon range of lenses
    simply because once I had chosen my Nikon I have just run with that and
    not taken so much notice of Canon lenses.
    That said - I am not at all biased one way or the other - simply my choice was more about what felt right for me.
    I understand that the kit lenses from Canon are nothing special - whereas
    the seperately bought up market ones are stunning - here I suspect Nikon's kit lenses nudge ahead - but up market i think it's the other way around - anyway -
    I would go for the body only and look around - try to try out a few different lenses. Sigma seem to work OK on Canon - I even suspect they are better on a Canon than on a Nikon...
    I really quite like Tamron - though I hear some of them are slower focus and they can feel plasticky - but all the results I have seen have looked really good to me. There is even an adaptor to fix Nikon lenses on a Canon camera!!!
    I think you need to decide what sort of range you want - then go and look up some reviews and finally go out and try a few out
    Hi Geoff, thanks for your reply. You make very good points.

My old Rebel XT came with the kit lens Canon 18 - 55mm F3.5-5.6 EF-S that I didn't use all that much but it was there when I needed it. The quality wasn't anything to write home about but it was a Swiss Army type of a lens, and was useful for certain type of shots. My thing is more shooting wildlife than portraits but I do need, I find, a Swiss Army type lens.

As I posted earlier, I did start doing some research at FredMiranda, BobAskins, etc. to see what reviewers recommended in that range. I want to see if there could be a possible alternative that would cost less than what now comes as the choice in kit lens for the 50D, namely the Canon EF-S 18-200mm f-3.5-5.6 IS or the Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM.

I have already a list of possible third-party lenses but it's really hard to tell which have IS and which have not. It seems that each lens manufacturer has its own way of naming the Image Stabilization feature.

IS to me is an important feature so it's worth noting in a lens review and I was just suggesting to Rex914 that it might be a good thing to add the different designations/appellations to his initial post in this thread. At least IMO it would be a useful addition to his excellent post.

For instance, is the Tamron AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] equipped with IS? Is Tamron's IF the same as Canon's IS? See where I'm getting at? And that's just one example with Tamron. Each lens manufacturer has its own way of calling Image Stabilization. It boggles my mind to try to remember all that jargon.

I guess that I will write down each lens model I have on my list and look up the description on the lens maker's page to see if the lens has IS or not.

With Tamron, it's designated with VC (Vibration Compensation).

With Sigma, it's designated with OS (Optical Stabilizer).