Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    coinguy Guest
    Well, I guess this is the thread in which to ask my question. Can anyone recommend which lens for a Canon SLR would be suitable for taking close-up photos of coins? Specifically I'm looking for a lens capable of taking detailed photos of mint marks, dates and die markers. An example of the type of photography I do can be found here: http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejckcoins/unk21d.htm

The pictures taken on that page were taken with a very outdated Sony Mavica MVC-FD81 mated with a 16x jeweler's loupe, which as you can imagine is a royal pain (and the pictures don't turn out too well). I'm getting ready to update to a 30-D and would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me an idea of what lens/setup I should look into.

Thanks,
    Jeffery

I haven't updated this guide in over 6 months, and I bet that some of my lens recommendations are a bit dated now, particularly in the area of APS-C specific lenses, a burgeoning segment of the market where new entries (like a new Tamron I'm hearing about) may supplant older ones.

I've done some minor updates to the guide. The biggest changes are the addition of the Tamron 17-50 and the Sigma 17-70 to the recommendation list. They're both good lenses that I think will supplant the popular Tamron 28-75 in time because they're more appropriate on cropped cameras.

The Tamron 17-50 isn't without imperfections (build quality isn't great, already hearing about QC issues, price is higher than the Sigma 18-50 by quite a bit), but if I had to recommend a good starter lens, it would be the 17-50.

I've updated the guide once again. I've removed the "Tricky Situations" section and merged it with the Primes section. I also did price updates and reworded quite a few of the recommendations. I've also begun adding in usage suggestions for several lenses. For example, the 85/1.8 is great for portrait photography, and the 135/2 is great for indoor, available-light photography (as well as long-range portraits!).
    Last edited by Rex914; 08-06-2006 at 02:45 PM.

Well done...

..and a helpful, well-thought through thread that I am sure will help many folks out. I've linked it at my site for the time being as well. Jojo

Quote Originally Posted by fStopJojo
    ..and a helpful, well-thought through thread that I am sure will help many folks out. I've linked it at my site for the time being as well. Jojo
    Welcome to DCRP Fstop! Glad to see you make it over here too!

Quote Originally Posted by fStopJojo
    Glad to see you here Jojo! I lurk around at POTN and FM, and I've always admired your lens comparisons because they're one of the very few resources around that visually compare lenses to lenses.

I look forward to your tests on the recently announced Sigma 50-150 and the upcoming Tokina 16-50. Keep up the good work!

Thanks CDI and Rex, it's nice to be here. The new Tokie 1650 will be a dandy, but I am somewhat concerned about its price, which from preliminary reports will be higher than both the S1850 and T1750. How much higher, time will tell. But the new Siggie 50-150 will be popular too...so long as they price it right also. See ya'll around.

Thank You

I am a newbie and this tread as helped me to start to understand lens
    and to make some informed purchases. What I have purchased are the
    Canon 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5(MACRO Version) and Canon 50mm f/1.4.
    Thanks to Rex914 for putting in the time for this Guide.

algogo-com Guest

Talking Good

Thank you for your information.
    http://www.algogo.com
    It is so helpful for a beginner.
    Thanks again!