Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    A few months ago I read a post on this forum with a link to a great lens comparison website which allowed you to select the lenses you want to compare and have similar pictures taken with the lenses come up in a composite window. I have now lost the link and I cannot find it again. Does anyone know the site I'm talking about?

By the way, I currently have a canon 350d and only the kit lens but I'm thinking of upgrading the lens. Given my budget I'm considering the sigma 18-50 f2.8 or the sigma 18-200 with OS. My main use for my camera is to take pictures of the kids - mainly indoors and I'm not very happy with the sharpness of the pictures I'm getting from the kit lens. I would like the flexibility of the 18-200mm lens but I would also like to generally improve the sharpness of the images I get. Would the 18-200 give an improved sharpness compared to the kit lens?
    Chris

Canon EOS 350d
    kit lens (18-55)

Cap, 18-50 with constant 2.8F and 18-200 with higher F number are different animals. I am not sure how much the sharpness can be improved though. I use kit lens non-IS and find it reasonable in daylight situations. I compare this to 28-105/3.5-4.5 II USM lens and find them both reasonably good in this department. I concur L lens probably will do better but having used Sigma 17-70 I am not sure. I find Sigma on Canon does not do miracles, although it can yield good photos. I also find lack of constant 2.8 limiting on 17-70 which was the purpose I bought it for. I hear 18-200 is inferior to either 18-50 or 17-70, but I did not use 18-200 so must trust what others say. Some people also blame yellowish cast of Sigma optics in pix, which I experienced as well, but this was not dramatic to make you shy this lens. What I found really limiting was accuracy of Sigma in AF mode, I had problems with this and this put me away from Sigma. I confess I did not try other Sigma since then. However my 17-70 was sharp enough at times I could snap accurate focus and right exposure. I did not like how it performed at 17 with 2.8 however.

I started a thread but no one posted yet, maybe somebody can suggest which Macro lens is good for jewelry photography? My camera is Canon 400D. Thank you!
    Maria

Gears: Nikon CoolPix 8400 | Canon Xti 400D 18-55 Kit | Canon Macro EF Lens 100mm F2.8 | Canon EF Lens 50mm F1.4

My Flikr ...DeviantArt ...My Jewels ... My Beads ...

Quote Originally Posted by born2snooze View Post
    I started a thread but no one posted yet, maybe somebody can suggest which Macro lens is good for jewelry photography? My camera is Canon 400D. Thank you!
    Hehe Maria,
    Here you are again
    I post something about the macro lense in your thread.
    www.guy594photography.com

| Canon EOS 40D + BG-E2N & Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM | Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon Extender: EF 1.4x II | Canon Speedlite 430EX

Quote Originally Posted by Guy594 View Post
    Hehe Maria,
    Here you are again
    I post something about the macro lense in your thread.
    Thank you! I know! I'm all over this place!
    Maria

Gears: Nikon CoolPix 8400 | Canon Xti 400D 18-55 Kit | Canon Macro EF Lens 100mm F2.8 | Canon EF Lens 50mm F1.4

My Flikr ...DeviantArt ...My Jewels ... My Beads ...

Thank you for a wonderful guide

Wow, this is an awsome resource for information on DSLR lens. I'll start researching for mine!

Cheers,
    -Tom
    Photo-Print-Reviews.com - A Guide To Online Photo Printing & Sharing Services!

300 Free Prints | Photo Coupons | Compare Photo Services

I have the Konica Minolta Maxxum D5 and am looking to purchase a wide angle lens but not at all sure what I'm looking for. I know that Konica Minolta was bought out by Sony...are compatible lenses still available? If so, can anyone recommend a decent wide angle that's compatible for this camera?

On another note, I know that the hot shoe flash is proprietary, can anyone recommend a compatible flash?

Thanks so much...it's my first time posting so forgive my ignorance.

Laurie, not too many people venture into this thread. Try starting a new thread here in the Digital SLR Chat or General Digital Photography Chat forums. Good luck ...
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

As far as I know, all of Sony's lenses should be compatible with your camera as well as any lens made for Sony dslr's. Check dyxum.com for reviews and comparisons of lenses for Minolta and Sony (d)slr cameras.
    Colt
    KM 7D & A200

Any lens made for Sony DSLRs will work on you camera. Sony has an 11-18mm wide zoom. Also,tamron and sigma have wide angle zooms that are compatible the KM 5D. Also, sony makes two flashes that are also compatible. I don't know the model numbers, but any camera stores that carry sony DSLRs should have them.