Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Can I use Nikon Lenses on Canon D300?

I have a Nikon 35mm N65 with Nikkor AF 70-300mm and Nikkor AF 35-70mm lenses. I just received as a gift a Canon Rebel 300D with included 18-55 lens. I never had a digital SLR before - nor have I ever had a Canon. This was a very unprecedented business gift - but I cannot exchange it for a Nikon. I know that I have great (expensive) real Nikon lenses. The lenses are only a year or two old. My 35-70mm lens replaced an earlier lens I had with my last Nikon, a 5005 (the body died). So, can I use my Nikon lenses with my Rebel? I know I can physically do it with a ring adapter, but will it function correctly? First, because the lenses are NOT 'specifically' for digital cameras, and second because they are different brands. I read some things about not being able to use the AF through all ranges. I use the telephoto lens often - taking pictures of my husband surfing. I am thrilled to switch to digital, because I waste a lot of film trying to get good pictures of my husband on a good wave. I know I will not get what the lenses are worth if I have to sell them, and spend money on a new Canon lens. HELP!

Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS| Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon Speedlite 430EX + Sto-Fen Omni Bounce | Manfrotto 3001BD & 680B/486RC2 | Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Digital Filters | Hitech ND & GND Filters | Bags > Kata R-103 + Lowepro Nova 5 AW

RawShooter | premium 2006 > My PBase Gallery

Question Trading in the Canon is not an option

I read that page before - that tells me that it is possible - but is it advisable? Does it matter that my lenses aren't specifically for digital cameras? Does anyone have any personal experience with this? Does anyone have a digital Canon Rebel using Nikon AF lenses that are not specifically for digital cameras? Trading in the Canon is not an option - this is a business associate I see all the time. Thank you for your response.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by michdc1298
    I read that page before - that tells me that it is possible - but is it advisable? Does it matter that my lenses aren't specifically for digital cameras? Does anyone have any personal experience with this? Does anyone have a digital Canon Rebel using Nikon AF lenses that are not specifically for digital cameras? Trading in the Canon is not an option - this is a business associate I see all the time. Thank you for your response.
    Nope. It doesn't matter at all. You won't get a/f. What you'll get is M/F with stop-down metering. It'll work though.