Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog
    Obijuan your situation is kinda unique so a UV would be highly recommend for protection. Heck I'd even be concerned about the function buttons getting fouled up with a paint ball splatter.
    wildlife photogs have to worry about branches and brush scraping elements too. There are many reasons to protect the front elements. But the average shooter doesn't. I don't mind using my shirt to gently brush away dust on my cheap filter, but I wouldn't dare do it on my lens. I do carry a microcloth in my domke bag, but it is a pain to get out all the time, that is IF I didn't have the filter protecting the lens.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    To each their own. Try a soft camelhair artist or makup brush. Works on the whole camera. Helps prevent dust intrusion as well. I keep one in my pocket when I'm shooting.

Nothing helps a good lens shoot bad pictures like another piece of filter glass stuck in front of it.
    I agree with your assertion, and I use them only when outdoors. Indoors there is no need for them. I like your idea about the brush, thanks. I will be sure to pick one up.

That does it. I'm taking off my UV Filters tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
    That does it. I'm taking off my UV Filters tomorrow.
    The main thing is to treat the equipment with respect to what you paid for it. If I'm not using the camera taking pictures the lens cap goes on (takes 2 seconds at most) or either the Lens Hood is attached and it goes into the camera bag while not taking pictures.

Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS| Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon Speedlite 430EX + Sto-Fen Omni Bounce | Manfrotto 3001BD & 680B/486RC2 | Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Digital Filters | Hitech ND & GND Filters | Bags > Kata R-103 + Lowepro Nova 5 AW

RawShooter | premium 2006 > My PBase Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog
    The main thing is to treat the equipment with respect to what you paid for it. If I'm not using the camera taking pictures the lens cap goes on (takes 2 seconds at most) or either the Lens Hood is attached and it goes into the camera bag while not taking pictures.
    I don't use UV filters day to day, but I have a few in the cupboard and if I am going to shoot down the beach for example esp if a rough coast (lot of salt spray) I will put one on the lenses I intend to use...
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

I read this article a while back and finally found it again: The Filter Flare Factor by Mike Johnston

Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS| Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon Speedlite 430EX + Sto-Fen Omni Bounce | Manfrotto 3001BD & 680B/486RC2 | Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Digital Filters | Hitech ND & GND Filters | Bags > Kata R-103 + Lowepro Nova 5 AW

RawShooter | premium 2006 > My PBase Gallery