Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Differences

Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    Re-read the section of the post I was responding to, and then re-read my answer. The poster was saying how he was upset that people got their info from reviews and forums! I say give them a break! What else are they supposed to do? They all can't start becoming camera experts, so they rightfully look for advice.
    Hi JTL,

What I was getting at, or meant to anyway, was there is a difference between asking for advice and asking to be told what to do! Many people when they get into photography (like when I did) don't go into a forum and ask "Which camera should I get, tell me what to do?". We go out and do research, read, learn and then ask any questions we may have as a result of our research... What I was referring to in that post as sad was that some people don't try a little for themselves, they want to be spoonfed...

Also I don't think it is bad that people get info from reviews, but just take it with a pound of salt, reviewers have their own pre-conceptions and bias just like every other human being on this planet, whether want to or not...

The poster seemed to be taking issue with that...to the point of depression.
    OK that is an exageration by me then, it doesn't make me depressed as in suffering from depression, but it is sad to read... I think you can say something is somewhat depressing to read but not causing you to be actually depressed after reading it??? maybe I am wrong in the way I am wording it?
    Last edited by jeisner; 05-06-2005 at 11:33 PM.
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

Quote Originally Posted by jeisner
    What I was getting at, or meant to anyway, was there is a difference between asking for advice and asking to be told what to do! Many people when they get into photography (like when I did) don't go into a forum and ask "Which camera should I get, tell me what to do?". We go out and do research, read, learn and then ask any questions we may have as a result of our research... What I was referring to in that post as sad was that some people don't try a little for themselves, they want to be spoonfed...

Also I don't think it is bad that people get info from reviews, but just take it with a pound of salt, reviewers have their own pre-conceptions and bias just like every other human being on this planet, whether want to or not...

OK that is an exageration by me then, it doesn't make me depressed as in suffering from depression, but it is sad to read... I think you can say something is somewhat depressing to read but not causing you to be actually depressed after reading it??? maybe I am wrong in the way I am wording it?
    Got it! Thanks! Let's face it...all of us who make this a passion tend to roll our eyes when people want everthing in the world about cameras (especially digicams) and photography laid out for them in a single post. I've directed many a questioner to do more research before asking questions. We know the answers aren't always simple...especially when people haven't even thought about what they really want or need. But, some of us try to help them as best we can. And on giving advice...I do love my Canons (I have two and may buy two more) but today I already steered people toward a Panasonic and a Sony based on their needs. I am not biased to the point where I would give someone dubious advice...

Also, regarding camera bias, the *ist DS was my first chioce for a dSLR (mainly because of size), but when the 350 came out, I tried them side-by-side and decided not to purchase either for now. So, I don't rule out cameras by brand (although some people seem to think so). I also own a Nikon SLR and many Nikkor lenses. So, when you read future posts of mine, even though over time I've become more Canon biased, I am by no means addicted to Canon...even though there might be a 20D in my future. We'll see.

Thanks for taking the time for discussion. I appreciate it.