Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Differences

Quote Originally Posted by jeisner
    And I never claimed it to be anything more
    I know...I'm just funnin'

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Time for a talk with Rodney Strong and Kendall Jackson. I get more out of the "discussion" than with the local Canonians. This was a pretty good site until it became all things Canon. Including the biggest Canonian of them all.

I always thought that I was getting an unbiased review until I read the XT review. The "reviewer" bent over backwards to make the XT shine.
    I totally disagree. By the way, the D100 was called "superb" by the reviewer. Nikon cameras have done very, very well here in the reviews, and I that is in part why I bought the Coolpix 2100 and 4300.
    What exactly would Jeff gain by promoting one brand over another? Greater overall advertising/referral revenue? Maybe I'm naive but if someone is set on buying a camera, they'll buy one brand or another. All cameras get exposure here, on reviews and the PriceGrabber links.

Quote Originally Posted by gabester
    All cameras get exposure here, on reviews and the PriceGrabber links.
    Not all do!
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

Quote Originally Posted by gabester
    Maybe I'm naive but if someone is set on buying a camera, they'll buy one brand or another.
    Maybe so with those of us that can think for ourselves, but it amazes me the number of people that buy based on reviewers opinions, and post in forums flat out asking "should I buy camera X or Y" the sheep mentality is very depressing :-/
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II

Not all do!
    Come on. Be fair. Jeff has already said a dozen times that Pentax REFUSED to give him a *st DS to review despite multiple pleas. If that's the way they want to play this game, it's their loss. Jeff WILL review every camera he gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Keller
    I have a really hard time getting things from Pentax. I do want to review the *ist DS, but Pentax has to cooperate...
    From the list, you know which companies actually care and which don't. Canon and Nikon (and Sony) get the most coverage because they actually send each and every model to Jeff. Nikon has even sent him a D2X even though I doubt that anybody here would have the funds to buy one. Do the other companies do that? Nope. It shows.

I just had to get that out, because people (in general) don't know that what Jeff reviews is what Jeff gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    Come on. Be fair. Jeff has already said a dozen times that Pentax REFUSED to give him a *st DS to review despite multiple pleas. If that's the way they want to play this game, it's their loss. Jeff WILL review every camera he gets.
    Fair enough.... Marketing especially in the US market, but also in general has never been Pentax's strongest area... Actually it was a seperate entity and recently they pulled the control back into Pentax (Asahi Optical), hopefully it gets better, wait and see I guess... Canon is a master at Marketing
    ------

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Interestingly, on another site, I asked the pro wedding photographers which camera they'd use. Almost universally, they said the Canon 20d or XT. One guy there said he'd got a D70 but regretted having bought into Nikon and if he was starting out again, would have gone for Canon. Much mention was made of Canon L-glass. Somebody also suggested the Fuji S2/3 Pro as having the best dynamic range.

Well, today, I shall go and look at some of these dSLRs to see how they handle. I'm thinking of looking at the XT, e-300, S2/3 and maybe the D70 and *ist Ds but the latter two are an afterthought only.

What I find interesting...

is all this talk about hardware, without any mention of the soft side. Over this past week or ten days I've been trying to figure out some of intricacies of RawShooter Essentials (RSE) versus Silkypix. There are quite substantial differences in terms of visible results--(on my camera, at least, and I have to believe on any other)--and probably similar differences between those two and the many others I haven't the money or time to test. Not to mention the various JPEG options. Even if the "best" hardware were an objective matter, it all gets thrown into limbo when you start considering the various RAW converters. And then, Nikon wants to control all Nikon owners' creative instincts with its proprietary Nikon Capture developer software. . .

It's complex enough that (IMHO) nobody can say "this is it!", not yet.
    "...and only the stump, or fishy part of him remained."
    Green Gables: A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Maybe so with those of us that can think for ourselves, but it amazes me the number of people that buy based on reviewers opinions, and post in forums flat out asking "should I buy camera X or Y" the sheep mentality is very depressing :-/
    Honestly, why are you depressed about what other people buy or how they make their decisions? I mean, we're talking about cameras here...hardly a matter worthy of depression (except for when you look at your bank statement after buying some new gear ). Those who care to educate themselves, I agree, are better off for it. But, if in the end, people are happy with their purchases, what does it matter? Not everyone is, or cares to be or even needs to be an expert. Cut the peeps some slack...

Quote Originally Posted by Norm in Fujino
    is all this talk about hardware, without any mention of the soft side. Over this past week or ten days I've been trying to figure out some of intricacies of RawShooter Essentials (RSE) versus Silkypix. There are quite substantial differences in terms of visible results--(on my camera, at least, and I have to believe on any other)--and probably similar differences between those two and the many others I haven't the money or time to test. Not to mention the various JPEG options. Even if the "best" hardware were an objective matter, it all gets thrown into limbo when you start considering the various RAW converters. And then, Nikon wants to control all Nikon owners' creative instincts with its proprietary Nikon Capture developer software. . .

It's complex enough that (IMHO) nobody can say "this is it!", not yet.
    While I don't want to get into the ownership or right vs. wrong / who's at fault issues, it seems this is one reason Nikon could legitimately say that others should use their SDK. If the user changes RAW camera settings identically in several applications, the user should get identical results, as these reflect what the camera should output with the new settings. If these applications are producing different results, then Nikon has every right to believe their camera customers are being disserviced.

This is not to say that the different RAW converters may have extended options unique to that converter, only that they should produce consistent results within the realm of camera controls provided by Nikon.

Cheers,
    Eric