Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Differences

Quote Originally Posted by JTL

I gotta tell you, this "what suits you" stuff is starting to stick in my craw. We've been brow-beaten into being afraid to state our opinions and preferences. If someone said "Gee, I'm thinking about buying a used Ford Pinto", would you say "whatever suits you..." ? No! You'd say "Whadda'ya nuts?" Some things ARE better than others. And if we've come to feel that way...we should be honest about it...and not hide behind the politically correct answers.* Ah...I guess I'm just cranky today and looking for a fight...
    Trouble is if he wants a Pinto (no idea what they're like) let him have it. Why do you have to impose your values on someone else? Sure suggest options, but let the guy alone if he's made up his mind. People still want vintage VW Beetles - are they mad because you want a ferrari? What about the person who wants to bring his large family - which is better, the ferrari, or a 7 seater.

"Best" is subjective not objective. We could spend the evening willy waving about why X camera is better than Y, but at the end of the day, maybe I want a camper van and you want a SUV.

Apologies for excessive car references.

I gotta tell you, this "what suits you" stuff is starting to stick in my craw. We've been brow-beaten into being afraid to state our opinions and preferences. If someone said "Gee, I'm thinking about buying a used Ford Pinto", would you say "whatever suits you..." ? No! You'd say "Whadda'ya nuts?" Some things ARE better than others. And if we've come to feel that way...we should be honest about it...and not hide behind the politically correct answers.
    No, I totally agree with you. Sometimes, we have to be honest and show candor. I had to do that yesterday when things just snapped, and I had to speak up about how poorly a university class was being run. I do it all the time too when I review restaurants. In an ideal world, we could all be wishy-washy and say "it's all subjective." But it isn't. Some restaurants are indeed better than others and can be proven as such.

When it comes to food, we have the innate ability to determine whether something is good or bad. Nobody will disagree with that. The only placer where things get muddier is in determining how good or how bad something is. That's the foundation upon which all restaurant reviewing rests.
    Last edited by Rex914; 05-05-2005 at 04:55 PM.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    When it comes to food, we have the innate ability to determine whether something is good or bad. Nobody will disagree with that. The only placer where things get muddier is in determining how good or how bad something is. That's the foundation upon which all restaurant reviewing rests.
    Lol. My wife hates Marmite, tongue, laverbred and many other British delicacies. I, on the other hand, will eat just about anything save for saurkraut (which she loves).

Again determination of good versus bad is as individualistic as camera choice.

I don't think so (but we're really straying from topic now!). There's a fine but definitive line between good and bad. You may "hate" something, but that clearly doesn't make it bad. That's just introducing personal opinion into the fray. For example, I hate cucumbers and pickles, but that doesn't discredit the "goodness" of the dishes in which they are used.

Let's just take one small sample here.

Pretend we were in a perfect world without any diseases, bad microbes, etc.

I serve you two cuts of prime rib. Would you take the one that's cooked entirely through until it's stiff and dry or the juicy medium rare one?

With no worries of health issues, I'm sure that the vast majority of us would pick the juicy medium rare one. Why? It's more tender and flavorful that way, and even with taste aside, it's be a whole heck of a lot easier to eat.

That's the kind of clear cut situation between good and bad. Of course, we don't live in a perfect world, so there's always the health issue, but if that were out of the way, I'm pretty darned sure people would prefer a succulent piece of meat rather than a hard rock. Ever wonder why all the books and magazines always show medium rare cuts? It's human nature. It's also science (when we see "yummy" things, endorphins are released, inducing "pleasure"), but I rather not go any further into that.

By the way, my argument has no bearing on camera choice. It's just something JTL brought up that was interesting to discuss.

Darnit, now I'm getting hungry talking about food. You see what I mean?
    Last edited by Rex914; 05-05-2005 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j26
    Trouble is if he wants a Pinto (no idea what they're like) let him have it. Why do you have to impose your values on someone else?
    Remind me never to ask you for advice!

Insert advice disclaimer here.

Quote Originally Posted by j26
    "Best" is subjective not objective. We could spend the evening willy waving about why X camera is better than Y, but at the end of the day, maybe I want a camper van and you want a SUV.
    What would you know? A two seater sports car is the ulitmate car, I don't care if you have kids to cart around, put them in the boot :P

Sorry just joking around...

Seriously though, I can list good and bad points of all the current DSLRs NONE of them is perfect.. Even the much hallowed (by some canon fanboys around here) 20d has its drawbacks, I have used it extensivley and liked some features and hated others, and I decided not to buy it, it was an informed decision... The arrogance of some people amazes me, especially when they have no personal experience with the products offered by the competition. Just because one particular camera/tv/car/mobile phone is best for you or me doesn't mean it is the best, it may be best in one certain specific area but worse in others...

P.S. Your car analogy is approriate IMO, some people need an SUV, some people want a two seater sports car, others want a hummer... They all have their advantages for some, and disadvantages to others... You can say one is the fastest, or one is the biggest but you can say one is overall the best, just the best in one specific criteria...
    Last edited by jeisner; 05-05-2005 at 07:35 PM.
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    And the beat goes on...

...And the beat goes on.
    and on and on and on... Ahh stuff it, I might as well hang out on the dpreview canon forums LOL, the fanboy attitude on here is amazing. Sarah asked me why you don't get much discussion from other camera model users on dcresource??? case and point...
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by jeisner
    What would you know? A two seater sports car is the ulitmate car, I don't care if you have kids to cart around, put them in the boot :P

Sorry just joking around...

Seriously though, I can list good and bad points of all the current DSLRs NONE of them is perfect.. Even the much hallowed (by some canon fanboys around here) 20d has its drawbacks, I have used it extensivley and liked some features and hated others, and I decided not to buy it, it was an informed decision... The arrogance of some people amazes me, especially when they have no personal experience with the products offered by the competition. Just because one particular camera/tv/car/mobile phone is best for you or me doesn't mean it is the best, it may be best in one certain specific area but worse in others...

P.S. Your car analogy is approriate IMO, some people need an SUV, some people want a two seater sports car, others want a hummer... They all have their advantages for some, and disadvantages to others... You can say one is the fastest, or one is the biggest but you can say one is overall the best, just the best in one specific criteria...
    An interesting OPINION...

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    I always thought that I was getting an unbiased review until I read the XT review. The "reviewer" bent over backwards to make the XT shine.
    I thought that about DPreview for a while, but after the last few reviews I know it is nothing more than another paid for Canon Shill review site...

For those that care. The *ist DS review is up on Steves site.
    There are more DS reviews around for example on DCViews, Luminous Landscape and plenty of magazine reviews, a few of them even comment on phil's big JPEG issue, flat out saying it is not an issue, eps if you use 'natural' mode, although if just doing 6x4 or 8x10, bright mode gives better results for people who don't like to do PP.

The D70 received great reviews from all sites including this one, since there was no way out, as Canon had nothing.
    And if the ditributor in Australia was not so expensive I may very well have bought it, it was a toss up between Pentax and Nikon for me. Canon was barely even a consideration.
    ------

An interesting OPINION...
    And I never claimed it to be anything more
    ------