Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Filter Size

Question Filter Size

I have a D70 and three different lens sizes (67mm, 62mm, 52mm). I'd like to start building my filter selection up, but do not know what would be the best size for basing my filter collection on ...

Is there a recommendation out there for me as to what size (67/62/55mm) I should consider, and then get the needed filter rings for the other lenses? I'm kind of at a loss and cannot make up my mind on this either way.

Thanks

why not get a filter for every lens?
    I don't bother with stepup/down rings..

I think for a couple reasons:

1. Expensive
    2. Messy - lots of stuff already to carry around and sort through while out shooting.
    3. Repetitive - the same filter for each lens (especially after adding more lenses down the road) can just be overkill.

... and expensive

I dunno, I don't see it as expensive. I have a UV filter for every lens I have. This protects the lens's front element. Not doing so would invite scratches and dirt. Fixing the damage or the drop in resale value is more expensive.

I get all of my filters used on forums. I paid 30 dollars for a Hoya Super HMC 82mm circular polarizer filter. That is VERY cheap, btw.
    I paid 20 bucks for a set of 4, (2 UV, 1 circ pol, and I FD) 58mm filters.
    You just have to look. I think I have spent around 60 bucks for all of my filters and have a lot of protection and neat options.

Yeah ... I know what you mean, and know that $20 is cheap.

I'm also looking at the Cokin system and wondering what kind of feedback there is out there on this sort of setup vs. screw-in filters? Pros/Cons?

I won't get into the UV/protective filter argument..

But for Circular Polarisers, I would by the best quality one you can afford (Hoya SHMC or B&W) in the largest size you have (67mm) and step up rings for the other two lenses, by far your cheapest option....
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

The cokin system is another option, I have the p series, I use it for graduated filters as screw-in grads can be awkward to use...

I don't use it for polarisers as I already have 82mm and 62mm screw in polarisers (these with step ups cover all my lenses).. Buying seperate polarisers for 49mm, 52mm, 62mm, 67mm, 77mm and 82mm would have been rather expensive and a waste of money IMO..
    Last edited by jeisner; 05-06-2005 at 07:52 PM.
    ------
    Joel - Canon 50d, EF16-35/2.8 Mk1, Σ 50/1.4, EF100/2.8 Macro, EF70-200/4 IS, 430EX II
    http://www.eisner.id.au

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jeisner
    The cokin system is another option, I have the p series, I use it for graduated filters as screw-in grads can be awkward to use...

I don't use it for polarisers as I already have 82mm and 62mm screw in polarisers (these with step ups cover all my lenses).. Buying seperate polarisers for 49mm, 52mm, 62mm, 67mm, 77mm and 82mm would have been rather expensive and a waste of money IMO..
    Thanks Jeisner ... this makes a lot of sense to me and I like you're thinking behind it. Of course, you'd want the control of being able to move the graduated filter around to compose your shot better - obviously not done with a screw-in filter. And of course ... that didn't occur to me.

I'm interested in Cokin system now and will look further into it, but will get my polarizers as screw-ins. Any other suggestions for types of screw-in filters, or advice of what to look for and research regarding the Cokin system (as I am new to it).

Thanks!!!