Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Is Panasonic discontinuing the FZ20?

I just checked buydig.com, and the FZ20 is going for $511.95 including shipping. And boy howdy, check this out - earlier today Beach Camera was selling the FZ20 for $478, and now they also are selling it for $511.95.

According to bensbargains.net, the best current deal is from 42nd St photo, which is selling the FZ20 for $486.53 including shipping.

I went by Circuit City last night, and they had only a non-functioning floor model. According to the salesman, Panasonic was going to discontinue the FZ20 and all the stores in Austin were out of stock (I know, I have to take that with a grain - or pound - of salt.)

Still, with the Canon's announcement of the Pro S2 IS, which will also have 5MP, 12X Opt zoom, and auto-assist focus for low light (all new features up from the previous Pro S1 IS), ya gotta wonder: It the bar being raised again?

Not that I would get the Canon; It still doesn't have a flash hot-shoe, the manual focus is still that (annoying) spring-lever thingie, and the continuous mode is reportedly 2.4 fps. I like the FZ20's corresponding features too much to wait until June and get a lesser camera, even if it will cost me $100 more.

So, anyone wanna talk me out of it? Is there any rumor going around that Panasonic may be replacing the FZ20 with an even BETTER camera?

I'm going to Fry's to buy an SD card, and flash-memory MP3 player, and a card reader (all on sale, of course!) I'll be back in an hour, and then I'll probably buy my FZ20 - unless some jumps in with some juicy gossip/info.

Wish me luck!

--Greg

Go ahead and buy it!!!

I have heard many rumors that Panasonic will be releasing an update in August or Sept. or Oct....etc. All of these rumors are from dubious sources and nothing that has come from an official Panasonic source. The FZ20 is an excellent camera as it stands right now and if you play the waiting game you might have to wait forever. Go....buy....it.....NOW!!!
    Tyler
    Panasonic DMC FZ-20, FZ-50, Wired Remote, Sunpak 383
    DCR-6600, TCON 14B, Nikon #5T+6T
    FZ20 Photo Gallery

I just did - got a new one on eBay for $479.99 with free shipping.

I'll soon be looking into what sort of adapter/hood to get. I did some reading on the many links provided, but I'm still pretty confused.

But that will come later. Now I am a proud owner of an FZ20; can't wait for it to arrive!

--Greg

Unhappy I just got off the phone with Panasonic....

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler
    I have heard many rumors that Panasonic will be releasing an update in August or Sept. or Oct....etc. All of these rumors are from dubious sources and nothing that has come from an official Panasonic source. The FZ20 is an excellent camera as it stands right now and if you play the waiting game you might have to wait forever. Go....buy....it.....NOW!!!

I called them cuz I heard the rumors about an FZ30 being released soon too and wanted to check it out. I was connected with Lynn in the Digital Camrea Support department. She told me that the FZ20 has NOT been discontinued and that to the best of their knowledge there are NOT ANY PLANS to release a replacement/upgraded model for the FZ20 anytime soon! She said that if there were, her area would know about it. (Presumably because they'd have to be trained on it before it's released so they can help people when they call for support).

I asked her to confirm this since I'd heard that one would be out within the next couple months. She re-stated that there were no such plans now or in the near future. She also stated that no press releases about an FZ20 replacement have gone out.

When I restated the question a third time, in a different manner (to see if perhaps I could catch her in a slip up). She again said that no plans existed and said that (I'm paraphrasing here)... while it's not impossible for a new camera to come out in this time frame, it's highly unlikely as they would definately know about it and they have not been informed about any upcoming replacement for the FZ20.

Pana Lumix dmcfz20 price

Check out this page if you haven't already bought your camera.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...ic_dmcfz20.asp

Quote Originally Posted by mica
    Check out this page if you haven't already bought your camera.
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...ic_dmcfz20.asp
    Thanks, mica, but I already bought mine, on eBay:
    http://tinyurl.com/axxwu

$479.00 and free shipping - I looked for several weeks and couldn't beat that. I got it on Monday, but couldn't take it out until Wed. Oh, boy! I'm gonna have a lotta fun with this camera!

Now I have questions about batteries and adapters. I'll try to do as much research as possible, but don't be surprised if you start seeing questions popping out of me left and right....

--Greg