Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 92 of 157 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast

Thread: People

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Shutterbug View Post
    These two shots where a bit of an experiment - trying to create a studio lighting effect without studio lighting. Both exposures where long ~15 sec and a torch (flashlight for all the Americans out there!) was moved around the subject to create the multiple light source effect. The only problem with this technique is trying to get a sharp photo involves a LOT of trial and error :P The BW shot is a photo of me so i had to get my flat mate to do the lighting in that one. Im keen to hear what you all think / any suggestions for improvement or a simpler method to get the same effect on a budget.
    Your 2nd shot reminds me a lot of the window light SPs I tried yesterday. You might want to try them, but you probably won't have as much time to shine the flashlight without blowing out the pic.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Mr.Shutterbug, both shots are very good considering the light source. Ive been experimenting with a lot of my stillife shots using a small torch. Your second shot has excellent lighting, especially on your hair. Good exposure time. All round great shot.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonD View Post
    Thank you, Benjamin, I'm sure lovin' the 50mm. I tried tracking down the pic of Bob you mentioned, but couldn't find it through a google search anywhere, but it was a fun search. Cheers!
    Hi Sharon

The 50mm/F1.8 is a mighty fine lens, I'm seriously considering starting with it when I get around to buying a dSLR.
    Sorry you couldn't find the Bob Dylan pic, I have a small print copy of it, so I'll try taking a macro shot of it and post it here for you.

PS: Mr Shutterbug, I like both portraits, although I think the B/W SP is the better photo both from a lighting/exposure and composition point of view. I agree with both Tori and Bynx's comments. I've tried side-lighting from a window for some still lifes in the late afternoon, I wasn't that successful so need much more practice, but it could be an interesting option for portraiture.

cheers,

Benjamin

tried something a little different with this one
    www.BrandonTurnau.com
    [B]D90/18-70mm/Sigma 10-20mm/50mm f1.8[/80-200mm 2.8/B]

Quote Originally Posted by btuner View Post
    tried something a little different with this one
    Thats cool. I have to try that one out.
    Olympus E-410
    Queens, New York
    U.S.A

Some portraits from this weekend. The B&W ones were taken just after sunset. The color ones were taken in bright light in the middle of the day. Not really a good situation for portraits but I figured I'd get some practice using fill flash. I'm still trying to figure out the balance between the flash exposure and the ambient light exposure. Any C&C is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by TheWengler; 03-13-2008 at 12:26 AM.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

posted another pic of this little one in the Nikon potd thread...I just couldn't choose between the two!

Nikon D80
    Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8
    Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
    Nikon SB600 Speedlight ]
    LightsphereII
    ...also, Canon Powershot G2
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17
    http://www.tailwagginphotography.com

Lukas--I really like the second BW. Obviously she's lovely, but that one really shows off her beauty with it's relaxed and natural feeling. The pose, facial expression, exposure, and BW conversion all work great together.
    Adam
    -------------
    Canon 60D & lenses & flashes & stuff
    A bunch of cheap vintage film cameras

My Etsy store

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin2007 View Post
    Hi Sharon

The 50mm/F1.8 is a mighty fine lens, I'm seriously considering starting with it when I get around to buying a dSLR.
    Sorry you couldn't find the Bob Dylan pic, I have a small print copy of it, so I'll try taking a macro shot of it and post it here for you.
    Hi Benjamin, that would be wonderful if you could eventually post a shot of the Dylan pic. I really look fwd to it. And I agree, the 50mm 1.8 (1.4 would be better! lol) would be a cracker of a lens to begin with when you buy your dSLR. Which dSLR body are you leaning towards?
    C & C most welcome - no matter how harsh, as it helps me learn.

Nikon D40, Nikkor 18-55mm II, 55-200 VR, 50mm 1.8D, ML-L3 Remote.

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharond36/

Lukas, personally I like #1 the best, seems the most natural and love the way she is not looking at the camera, but would have preferred her arms not to be folded. Perhaps she could have put them behind her and leaned back against the railing (or something like that, lol)? Not good at critique, know what I like when I see it, but have a hard time explaining why most of the time.

Jason I love that one of your li'l guy. Adorable!
    C & C most welcome - no matter how harsh, as it helps me learn.

Nikon D40, Nikkor 18-55mm II, 55-200 VR, 50mm 1.8D, ML-L3 Remote.

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharond36/