Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 127 of 157 FirstFirst ... 2777117125126127128129137 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 1567

Thread: People

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    I haven't checked this thread in a while, but what exactly does a snapshot mean? Are all of my pictures snapshots? How is a snapshot different from another picture? (just out of curiosity... I have seen the term thrown around before but never inferred its meaning.)
    I guess it means that the shot would only be interesting to me if I knew those people. The girls head and the guys foot are right on the edge of the frame, and the lighting sucks.

This last one you posted is much better. They're doing something interesting and the composition is better. I like how the two foreground guys are doing the same thing, but the 2nd one is OOF. I'd throw those guys in the far back as OOF as possible. It does look underexposed though.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by raven15 View Post
    I haven't checked this thread in a while, but what exactly does a snapshot mean? Are all of my pictures snapshots? How is a snapshot different from another picture? (just out of curiosity... I have seen the term thrown around before but never inferred its meaning.)

New one: with my 40-150mm at some focal length or other. Out of camera jpeg w/ no processing.
    LOL, I get the same comment about my shots sometimes (look at my last post in this thread). I see what people mean when they say that, but I love taking candid shots, but I guess most don't. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.
    Canon 5D Mark II (Canon 35mm/1.4L | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Canon 135mm/2L | 430EX II | Gitzo G1125 + 494RC2)

flickr

I bought a new camera. It's very advanced - you don't even need it. ~Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
    LOL, I get the same comment about my shots sometimes (look at my last post in this thread). I see what people mean when they say that, but I love taking candid shots, but I guess most don't. Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about.
    There's no problem with taking candid photos. However, just because a photo is candid, doesn't make it good. It still needs to have everything else (exposure, composition, light, etc.) to make it work.
    Lukas

I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by TheWengler View Post
    There's no problem with taking candid photos. However, just because a photo is candid, doesn't make it good. It still needs to have everything else (exposure, composition, light, etc.) to make it work.
    Right, but does saying that a shot is "just a snapshot" automatically imply that?
    Canon 5D Mark II (Canon 35mm/1.4L | Canon 24-70 f/2.8L | Canon 135mm/2L | 430EX II | Gitzo G1125 + 494RC2)

flickr

I bought a new camera. It's very advanced - you don't even need it. ~Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by GoneTomorrow View Post
    Right, but does saying that a shot is "just a snapshot" automatically imply that?
    Imply what? That it's a candid or that the exposure, composition and light are bad? For me a snap shot is when someone sees something that's halfway interesting, points a camera at it and pushes the shutter release without taking time to consider some of the things that make good photographs.
    Lukas

Flickr

Looks like my conversation is already underway! Hard to say, I pretty much put the same amount of thought into anything I shoot. Certainly I framed the shot with the foot and head at the edge of the frame on purpose, that was a key feature of what I was attempting. I liked the strange positioning of limbs and facial expressions. And I was completely aware of my exposure (1/50s, f/2.8, ISO 800, exposure comp +.3, I know from memory because it was right at the hand held / high ISO limit). The lighting did completely suck (actually worse, I fixed it a little in PP).

So is it a snapshot...? I think that if so, a case could be made that all of my shots are snapshots, but hard to say.

Yeah I agree the second is under exposed (even before posting) but I was too lazy to fix it. Still working on my people, haven't really gotten a good one since around New Year's.

I can only judge what I see. That's why I said it "comes across like a snapshot." I disagree with the compositional choice though.
    Lukas

Flickr

I agree with what you said Lukas, I reckon a snapshot is where you see something and fire with no thinking.

Since you've thought about what you're doing Raven it's not a snapshot, it's just that the artfull effect you tried for is lost on others. I guess the trick is to make the effect you are trying for pleasing to the eye of a significan't number of people. Everyone's taste is different so you'll never please everyone.

Can anyone say Warhol or Pollock?
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Well, I can understand that! I know that many people including myself often disagree with my subjects and composition. I generally lack the ability to judge my own pictures unless I have looked at them many times over several months, so what I post may not even be my better work in many cases. Plus, I know that I have different tastes than most people.

Rooz, I love the smoothness of the shot. Does it look like that full size too? Clearly you are doing something differently than me, either during capture, in processing, or as a result of the camera (or possibly all of the above).

Btuner I like the composition, and how the man is more colorful than the surroundings even though he is not colorfully dressed.

TheWengler, it's a good portrait though it may be lacking your usual creativity (of course if you're always creative then creativity itself will cease to be creative).

In my ongoing effort to think more about people (out of necessity), here are two older ones. One at 9mm / "18mm," the other at 40mm/"80mm."
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I love this thread, there are some great pics here.

flickr link