Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jcw122
    Hmm...I'm thinking these 18-200 Sigmas will be worth it compared to the 18-125, I mean it will save me money of buying RAW vignetting correction capable software (like Nikon Capture...$100!)
    If you have the $400 it's probably the better choice. I like the 18-125 but am still debating. Today, most things being equal, I would opt for the 18-200.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Thought I'd contribute to this hot thread.

The autofocus on this Sigma 18-200mm is slower and less accurate than Canon lens and much noisier too. It is slower and noisier than the similarly priced Tamron 18-200mm also. Anything within 10-20' knows you are focusing! It also tends to hunt quite a lot, especially in lower light conditions, sometimes failing to lock at all. I don't understand why Sigma can't produce a quicker, quieter autofocus system.

The maximum aperture at the 200mm end is 6.3 and with the 1.6X focal length multiplier of the Digital Rebel it can be hard to get a fast enough shutter speed to avoid blurring due to shake. If you back off just a tad you get can get 5.6 aperture. Given that the maximum focal length is about 160mm (see below) then backing off just a little to get f5.6 puts you at about 150mm. At the wide end you get f3.5 at 18mm and f4.5 at 28mm.

If you choose Sport mode on the Digital Rebel with this lens, the autofocus goes crazy. It hunts a lot and does so very quickly and just won't stabilize resulting in rapidly changing focus.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_hendricks
    Thought I'd contribute to this hot thread.

The autofocus on this Sigma 18-200mm is slower and less accurate than Canon lens and much noisier too. It is slower and noisier than the similarly priced Tamron 18-200mm also. Anything within 10-20' knows you are focusing! It also tends to hunt quite a lot, especially in lower light conditions, sometimes failing to lock at all. I don't understand why Sigma can't produce a quicker, quieter autofocus system.

The maximum aperture at the 200mm end is 6.3 and with the 1.6X focal length multiplier of the Digital Rebel it can be hard to get a fast enough shutter speed to avoid blurring due to shake. If you back off just a tad you get can get 5.6 aperture. Given that the maximum focal length is about 160mm (see below) then backing off just a little to get f5.6 puts you at about 150mm. At the wide end you get f3.5 at 18mm and f4.5 at 28mm.

If you choose Sport mode on the Digital Rebel with this lens, the autofocus goes crazy. It hunts a lot and does so very quickly and just won't stabilize resulting in rapidly changing focus.
    Oddly enough I didn't have this problem on the D70 when I tried the 18-200 a few weeks ago. It seems to work as well as my 18-125, which rarely has a problem getting focus lock, and the noise is no worse than any other low cost non-HSM lens. But it was only about 30 minutes of goofing around.

Before I draw any conclusions I wil try to get out with this lens on a real shoot next weekend (and post the results). If it's as troublesome as you say, then I will quit offering it as a suggestion as a good walk-around.

Thanks Gary.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 08-28-2005 at 07:32 AM.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Is it just me, or do the sigma picture look much better? Seems like the Tamron pics are, I don't know, hazy?

I was thinking of getting the tamron 18-200 with my Maxxum 5D, but now I'm thinking the Sigma 18-125 is better. Unfortunately, Sigma doesn't make their 18-200 for Konica :-(

I'm looking forward to seeing more sample shots.

Thanks,

Allan

Sigma Vs Tamron

Hi

Just registered as I urgently need to replace a wrecked Canon lens before a theatre shoot. Looks like I'll have to buy either the Tamron or Sigma 18-200 in a hurry for a theatre shoot in a week.

Does anyone out there have any comparison shots other than the Japanese shots we have all seen. The Tamron shots seem implausably hazey and de saturated and I'm a little worried about the accuracy of the comparison.

Between the two the tamron seems to have a smoother action and quieter focus system. The wierd range shift would be a real bonus as the lens seems considerably longer at the tight end whilst still giving me a very useful wide.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Steadi
    Hi

Just registered as I urgently need to replace a wrecked Canon lens before a theatre shoot. Looks like I'll have to buy either the Tamron or Sigma 18-200 in a hurry for a theatre shoot in a week.

Does anyone out there have any comparison shots other than the Japanese shots we have all seen. The Tamron shots seem implausably hazey and de saturated and I'm a little worried about the accuracy of the comparison.

Between the two the tamron seems to have a smoother action and quieter focus system. The wierd range shift would be a real bonus as the lens seems considerably longer at the tight end whilst still giving me a very useful wide.

Mike
    The Tamron is quieter, but the Sigma is better optically. I have used both and like the Sigma on my D70. As a caveat I don't own either lens as I was hoping that Nikon would bring out a similar 18-200, which they seem to be doing in November (with VR).

I would think for theater (indoor) use you might want something a little faster like the Tamron 28-75 f2.8.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Thanks George

I agree a faster zoom would be Ideal but unfortunately I need the range, I'm shooting musical theatre where that elusive money shot can disappear almost faster than you can zoom the lens!

Other than using a second body there is no time to lens change and I have had bad problems with dust in the past which will be cured keeping one lens on the body most of the time.

Will look into the shorter zoom in the hope that I can pick up a secondhand body but of course I will then need a second lens for the tight end. Took some test shots with a siemens star in Jessops this morning and although slightly softer than the Sigma the Tameron seems far better than the Japanese test shots imply.

Will leave making a decision to end of week, many thanks for your input.

Mike

A 70-200 f/2.8 lens will probably do you better for that type of photography.
    The 18-50 range on the 18-200 is pretty worthless for theatre photogs.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

Thanks for your help, will look at the 70 to 200 F2.8 but will of course need to buy a wide as well which may be a problem.

Had a chance today to look at my test shots between the Tamron and Sigma 18 to 200. Jessops let me set up a Siemens star at one end of their shop and take some tripod shots.

At the wide end Tamron is actually sharper than the sigma, I even cropped a area nearer the edge of the picture in a far closer focal plane and although both lenses handled well the Tamron is still sharper.

At the 200mm end the Sigma is a little sharper but it has to be remembered that by some wierd quirk the Tamron frames about 10% tighter so there are real advantages to buying this lens.

There appeared to be none of the nasty de-saturation common to the Japanese test shots of the brick wall etc and I'm not seeing any depth of field problems either. Maybe I have a good example of the tamron and an iffy Sigma but this is a real dilemma.

I can either go for the sigma which is marginally sharper at the long end, or the Tamron which is widely considered to be the lesser lens which is sharper on the wide, and zooms tighter.

Nightmare!

Mike
    Last edited by Steadi; 11-01-2005 at 05:59 PM.

Hi

Just to keep you posted I have bought the Tamron. Its possible that I tested a very good example of this lens and Jessops have kept the tested lens under the counter for me.

The range is actually ideal for my Theatre work, I regularly need to get wide for group shots or when working in smaller theatres and to be able to do so without a camera or lens change will be very useful.

I have now wound up with a spare EOS 10d, (found a very tatty one secondhand and had it serviced) so a 70 to 200 is on my christmas list! But for the moment the Tamron will get me out of trouble and the F5.6 stop is the same as what I'm used to on the iffy canon lens.

Many thanks again for all your comments, I'll let you know how the Tamron matches up to the canon glass.

Mike