Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 20 of 178 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Sunsets!

Silver Linings

Once again, I am totally blown away by all the talent to be found here. While everyone else seems to have romantic beach scenes, this one was taken one evening after a very long day of move-in (I'm a residence hall director). I was pooped and had to grocery shop before getting to relax. This shot was taken from the parking lot of our super WalMart!

Silver Linings

I spent several minutes parked in the middle of the back half of the lot just standing against my car shooting away. Amazing how something like this can rejuvenate a person.

Taken with a Kodak DX7590.

Cher
    "It's just me singing through a big fat microphone, and the band in a circle, like a Cowboy Junkies session sound."
    --Ryan Adams

Cool

Very nice & atmospheric. Its amaizing what images can ge gained in the most normal of places. It takes a good eye to spot them though. Every picture has a corner & around every corner there's a picture - the fun's finding them. Hmm.... if I can work out how to add a sign off message I might use that.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D
    Very nice & atmospheric. Its amaizing what images can ge gained in the most normal of places. It takes a good eye to spot them though. Every picture has a corner & around every corner there's a picture - the fun's finding them. Hmm.... if I can work out how to add a sign off message I might use that.
    yeah one time right while i was pulling into the parking lot at work i noticed a decent size sun halo (looks like a rainbow encircling the sun). i parked a little off to the side and started snapping away. i saw tons of people just walking by and not even noticing what was right above their heads in plain sight! all they had to do was tilt their heads up slightly and they would see it! i also had to make up some excuse why i would be delayed for quite a while before arriving for work
    no lousy throw away part time job was worth that kind of opportunity
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

Quote Originally Posted by Phill D
    Just goto User CP and signature.

Easy...

The problem with living in Arizona is that almost every sunset is a unique photograph. Like I've said the state flag is a sunset on top and a field of blue (for the deep blue skies). A typical sample:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by D70FAN; 08-29-2005 at 07:32 PM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Back again after refreshing summer holiday.

Here is my latest sunset pictures.

-Mika

Sorry to post a none sunset on here but ReF is this what you meant. I took it in Yosemite park at Easter. It was frosty & I assumed it was a result of ice crystals in the air causing some kind of diffraction ring. There were feint rainbow colours in reality but my little olly C40Z could only just capture them. Also tried the signature George thanks.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

[QUOTE=Phill D]It was frosty & I assumed it was a result of ice crystals in the air causing some kind of diffraction ring. There were feint rainbow colours in reality but my little olly C40Z could only just capture them.QUOTE]

that's exactly what causes them and of the two i've seen, they've been on the pale side as well. the weird thing was that the second halo i saw was on a hot day and caused by what looked like cirrus clouds (ice) and a bunch of contrails. it's a good thing i decided to bring the camera along that day, as no one would expect to see something like that in the middle of a hot day.
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

Agate Beach

Lopez Island, San Juan Archipelago, Washington State. Taken with a Panasonic FZ20.

Those Sun halos are VERY cool. In the Canadian Prairies, we'd get these things called "Sun Dogs" that are very similar. You'd get a semi-circle on both sides of the sun (often quite far apart) usually in the winter months, when ice crystals are abundant in the air. But I've actually seen one of those here in BC this past summer, it was a strange occurrance, and I REALLY wish I had taken my camera along with me as it was DURING a sun set too!

Anyways, I took these two pics from my backyard last fall. There was this really odd shaped, tall cloud shooting up into the sky that lit up in a really cool way - it almost looked like it was a flame in the sky. I've added a second pic that's zoomed out a bit more to give some perspective on the size of it.

Here's a plain ole' cloudless and windy Newport Beach, California sunset.

Should try to catch one with a pier and some of the big surf we've been having lately.

Here's with some color filtering and contrast, interesting little bed the sun is burning for itself.
    Last edited by eastbluffs; 08-30-2005 at 10:41 PM.
    Canon 20D
    Canon Lenses 135L f2.0, 50mm f1.8, 18-55mm kit
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Sigma 70-300 f4 - 5.6 APO DG
    Other 580EX flash, Expodisc, carbon fiber monopod