Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 39 of 251 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird Thread

Rather than crosspost (which is against the rules), I'll just link you to the penguin pictures from my other thread. Enjoy!

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...45&postcount=2

Quote Originally Posted by lynchbird
    carbine:

Where are you located? It's definitely one of the birds in the Nightjar family. I don't have any pictures of juveniles, but my guess would be a young Whip-poor-will or an Antillean Nighthawk. Others from that family that are found in North America are the Pauraque, Common poor-will, Chuck-will's-widow, Common Nighthawk, and Lesser Nighthawk.
    I am in Australia Queensland And it is a Tawney-Frogmouth Owl

Oh .... uh .... yeah! .... Of course! .....

That's what I meant to say!

Yesterday was horrible and grey...You can't let that stop you takin' pics though!

Last edited by ReValveiT; 07-25-2005 at 11:44 PM.
    Canon 5D ● Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L ● Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L ● Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L ● Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM ● Sigma EF-500 DG Super Flash.

S2 birders

Quote Originally Posted by malc
    A greenfinch - this one managed to fly into our window and was a bit dazed for a while, allowing me to come close to photograph it in macro mode on my Ricoh RDC-7:

A capercaillie - I was very lucky to be able to get this shot, but unfortunately I couldn't get very close and had to use the maximum digital zoom. (I'm hopefully getting a Canon S2 soon which should rectify this!)

[
    I love the detail on the greenfinch's feathers. Quite an excellent texture! I have never seen a Capercaillie although I believe I have heard a band by that name. I believe they were Scottish and may have spelled it with a K.

Great shots with the Canon S2's everybody. I am almost embarrased to post mine in this company as I am not quite used to my tele-extender yet. Well, here goes.....

The first one I believe is a downy woodpecker but there is a slight chance it is a hairy woodpecker. The second one is an attempt to get a hovering hummingbird in the morning light. I believe I had to push the ISO a bit to get enough light.

Scatamousche

Birds!

Ooooh, birds, my favorite subject. There are some gorgeous pictures in this thread!

I've been lurking for a while. Before the forum change, I posted here quite a bit, but then went away for a while 'cause I didn't need, couldn't afford, and couldn't let myself look at new cameras. But I came back to research the Digital Rebel XT before buying one, and I've been catching up reading here. Then I came across the bird thread. I can't resist the bird thread.

These are a couple of my older bird pics, both taken in Morro Bay on a sailing trip down the California coast in 2001, with my now old Olympus C2100 UZ.

A Great Blue Heron, having found food:

A Night Heron on the dock:

I'll be back, especially if I can capture the Rufous Hummingbird who just decided to stake out our feeder as his territory, despite overwhelming numbers of Broad-Tailed Hummingbirds who felt it was theirs first.

Oh, and a pelican

I just came across another I really like from that Morro Bay trip in 2001, also from the Olympus C2100 UZ.

All of these photos have, at most, a Photoshop auto levels applied, and no other editing aside from resizing for posting.

A Brown Pelican:
    Last edited by Rachel Robbins.; 07-26-2005 at 07:05 AM.

Bluejay-digital zoom

Playing around with the digital zoom until lens adapter arrives. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the feather detail at 27x! Shot in 2048x1536 resolution.
    Bill, Pentax K100D, 18-55mm, 70-300mm

Nice digital zoom I love the s2 (im not biased or anything!) What settings did you use for that one, If you remember.

And how do I display pics on forum mine just become links.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iplayazi
    Nice digital zoom I love the s2 (im not biased or anything!) What settings did you use for that one, If you remember.

And how do I display pics on forum mine just become links.

Thanks
    To display the pics, on my screen there is a square box and if I put the cursor over the box it says, "Insert Image". To the right of that is what you used - Insert Hyperlink, I would guess.

But on the digital zoom. Mostly automatic although I was using P mode, but I didn't adjust anything - I guess that is what amazed me when I looked at the shot on computer screen. Looking at the EXIF data, it says:
    1/125 @ f4.0, Metering was Evaluative, Digital Zoom was 2.531x or 30x (12x2.531), Normal processing, Fine compression, and resolution of 2048x1536. Other than the resolution I didn't do anything other than snap

The biggest help to getting a shot like that is lighting. Until the sun travels farther South, I have a window of opportunity of about one hour early in the morning where the sun is hitting the stump and the background is completely black - due to tree shadows behind the stump. Later in the day, I don't even try.
    Last edited by XOO; 07-26-2005 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Added info
    Bill, Pentax K100D, 18-55mm, 70-300mm