Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 154 of 251 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 2504

Thread: Bird Thread

I hesitate to post this - the pix here are very good indeed!!

On our latest visit to Wisley there were some birds on display...
    I liked these two little owls in particular:
    Last edited by Geoff Chandler; 11-24-2007 at 03:21 PM.
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

lone gull

I don't often do bird pics, but I was in Ocean City NJ, and experimenting a bit at the shore. So here is the one bird pic I like. Thanks for looking.

Nikon d200
    1/250
    iso 320
    fog lifting
    f16
    300mm with 70-300 vr lens hand held

Smile Ibis queston & two pages of fantastic photos!

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    What the tags on the ibis' legs Ben? Do you know we have ibis problem in Sydney right now? ...
    Hi Tim11, et al,

I don't know for sure what the tags are on the Ibis' legs, but my guess would be that they have something to do with the National Parks & Wildlife Service, or are some form of other scientific tagging/monitoring etc.

I've seen a lot of Ibis about in the various parks over the last couple of years, was aware that the drought had interferred with their normal migratory patterns & that some think of their increased numbers as a problem, a friend at work who volunteers for WIRES has lobbied local councils to protect them rather than consider them a pest and cull them.

That's a pretty good shot of an Ibis in flight, I'm yet to capture a bird in flight...

Some excellent shots everyone, although I particularly liked your Owls Geoff, your parrot shot Tim, and the bird on your balcony Bynx!

Here are some more wading water-bird shots (previously incorrectly described as: "waterfowl"):
    Attachment 31054

Attachment 31055

cheers,
    Last edited by Benjamin2007; 12-02-2007 at 07:29 AM. Reason: To correct incorrect photo label

Benjamin

A Red Tail eagle from yesterday...

You first see a photo with your mind, and then capture it with your camera!

Canon - EOS 50D | BG-E2N | 70-200mm f/4 L IS | 400mm f/5.6 L | Sigma - 18-50mm f/2.8 EX | 30mm f/1.4 EX | 150mm f/2.8 Macro EX | | Misc - 430EX | OC-E3 | EF-12 Ex Tube | Kenko Teleplus 300 Pro 2x TC | FotoFile Backpack AW | Lowepro Nova 3 AW | Tripod | Panasonic FZ5.

My Flickr

Benjamin2007, that is some kind of gallinule. It looks very similar to the purple gallinules we have here in America. They're a type of wading bird called a rail, technically, not waterfowl. Notice the splayed feet which help him walk across lily pads and very soft mud, which is where he feeds. Waterfowl have webbed feet. Gallinules are closely related to coots and various rails like Virginia and clapper rails, to use a couple of American examples.
    Panny FZ7.

Drake Waterfowl Field Expert
    Ducks Unlimited Life Sponsor

Wading Bird Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Threecurl View Post
    Benjamin2007, that is some kind of gallinule. It looks very similar to the purple gallinules we have here in America. They're a type of wading bird called a rail, technically, not waterfowl. Notice the splayed feet which help him walk across lily pads and very soft mud, which is where he feeds. Waterfowl have webbed feet. Gallinules are closely related to coots and various rails like Virginia and clapper rails, to use a couple of American examples.
    Hi Threecurl

Thanks for the correction!
    When I posted the photo, I'd struggled for adequate words to describe the birds and thought "waterfowl" was simply a generic word for all water birds, whether swimmers or waders...
    Guess I should've done some research on them before posting an incorrect description, ... I'll edit my previous posts with a corrected generic descriptor.

cheers,

Benjamin

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin2007 View Post
    Hi Threecurl

Thanks for the correction!
    When I posted the photo, I'd struggled for adequate words to describe the birds and thought "waterfowl" was simply a generic word for all water birds, whether swimmers or waders...
    Guess I should've done some research on them before posting an incorrect description, ... I'll edit my previous posts with a corrected generic descriptor.

cheers,
    There are so many kinds of birds that hang around water that it takes a tremendously anal retentive saltwater fisherman and duck hunter to know half of them. One of these days, when I'm all growed up, I'll have all my sandpipers sorted out, haha.
    Panny FZ7.

Drake Waterfowl Field Expert
    Ducks Unlimited Life Sponsor

Bald Eagle Tree

Taken today near the Grain Terminal in Prince Rupert BC.
    Gil from Alberta
    Olympus E-510, 14-42, 40-150, 70-300, Oylmpus FL-50,
    Panasonic FZ50, Panasonic FZ8, Schneider Kr 1.4x, Schneider Kr .7x, Raynox DCR2020Pro, Raynox DCR6600Pro, Manfrotto Monopod and Tele Lens Support, Red Dot target finder

Wow, I had no idea that bald eagles would sit together like that! It looks like there are some golden eagles there too, is that right?
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Bald Eagle Tree

The brown ones are juveniles. The white heads appear at maturity after about 3 years. (I was told this)
    Gil from Alberta
    Olympus E-510, 14-42, 40-150, 70-300, Oylmpus FL-50,
    Panasonic FZ50, Panasonic FZ8, Schneider Kr 1.4x, Schneider Kr .7x, Raynox DCR2020Pro, Raynox DCR6600Pro, Manfrotto Monopod and Tele Lens Support, Red Dot target finder