Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Food Thread

[Photo link broken]

Taken today with Kodak DC3400.

[Photo link broken]

Taken today with Kodak DC3400.
    Last edited by Rex914; 08-09-2006 at 06:47 PM.

Food and beverage

Man, it's hard shooting food. I'm no Wilhelm Tell..

Nikon Coolpix 775

/MJ
    /Maddox

http://medlem.spray.se/photos

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon 18-55 mm
    Sigma 70-300 mm F4-5.6 II Super Macro

Yep, it's hard to take indoor, low light pictures with our old manual-controls-less 2 Megapixel cameras. I can see in the beet picture, that your camera does the exact same thing as mine if I'm not ultra careful. It tries to compensate for the funky lighting situation and ends up making a mess of itself, filling in all the shadows with that blue. The best I can do is set the WB to "flourescent" which isn't perfect, but helps a little.

[Photo link broken]

[Photo link broken]

Sushi Delivery

Rex-
    I would have never thought of photographing my food if it weren't for you! Thanks! Here's a picture of some of my dinner! I got the general concept for staging of the shot from your work. How'd I do for my first try? BTW, it was delicious!

Canon SD500, macro, f/2.8. 1/20 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    Rex-
    I would have never thought of photographing my food if it weren't for you! Thanks! Here's a picture of some of my dinner! I got the general concept for staging of the shot from your work. How'd I do for my first try? BTW, it was delicious!

Canon SD500, macro, f/2.8. 1/20 sec.

Ah, don't make me hungry so soon after dinner!

Macro works very well on small dishes like sushi, and it brings out the details in the texture and appearance of the food, the aspects of the photo that stimulate the brain and cause salivation and hunger.

That's a good first shot. Maybe you could have tried playing around with the angle and shot even more level with the sushi rolls? I think that that would add more physical dimension and make the sushi jump straight out of the screen.

I look forward to your future food shots.
    Last edited by Rex914; 05-03-2005 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Typos

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    Maybe you could have tried playing around with the angle and shot even more level with the sushi rolls? I think that that would add more physical dimension and make the sushi jump straight out of the screen.
    I tried that as well (see below), although the shot has a few technical problems that I have noticed and that I have learned from. I basically threw the sushi rolls on the plate and shot. But with a little more care I could have done better...for instance the lighting...that front shadow shouldn't be there, I should've used some fill flash...and the DOF...I should have made sure that either all the rolls were in focus or that the back rolls were completely out-of-focus. As it is, it's too much in between. But, I am learning by practicing! Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it...

Since this one was at ISO 200, I had to run it through Noise Ninja. You can still see noise in the lettuce, but overall not too bad...

This sounds a little corny, but one great resource when figuring how to pose these shots is to look at cookbooks and the fancier restaurant menus that actually show the food. You won't always have the luxury of being able to set things up and arrange things, but having several basic "templates" in your head does help a lot for me.

Look - I went to the Gym today - trying to loose a little of that extra that I really don't need - then I come in and have a look at this thread...GUYS what are you trying to do to me!!
    GREAT photos
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler
    Look - I went to the Gym today - trying to loose a little of that extra that I really don't need - then I come in and have a look at this thread...GUYS what are you trying to do to me!!
    GREAT photos
    I'm having Italian tonight...pictures to come! You're in trouble now! View at your own risk!