Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Food Thread

Um, I don't think this would taste good. But it was the closest thread I could find ...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by toriaj; 04-23-2006 at 05:41 PM.
    Nikon D50, Nikkor 18-55mm, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Sigma 70-300mm APO DG Macro, Tokina 12-24
    Flickr

Ribeye's and Texas toast anyone?
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

Here is a shot from one of my favorite restaurants, Khan's Mongolian BBQ. It's basically buffet style for whatever you want in your dish and they cook it up right then and there for you.
    Paul
    Fuji S6000fd - R.I.P.
    Fuji HS20 EXR - Current

Here are a few food shots that I took this weekend. It feels like it's been forever since I last posted some up. As a reminder, I am *still* working with my DC3400.

This first one is from the Fish Hopper restaurant in Monterey. It's been several years since we last dined there. While the prices have shot through the roof, the food is thankfully just as good as before, and they make the best Fried Calamari around.

This is a bit better than the Fish 'n Chips shot I had last year though I think I could do better.

The following two photos are from a restaurant in San Jose's Japantown.

Last edited by Rex914; 08-09-2006 at 10:54 PM.

Crawfish in South Louisiana. Man were they good!
    Sony DSC-P200
    Maybe I should change my name to
    An Amature Nomad!

Quote Originally Posted by American Nomad
    Crawfish in South Louisiana. Man were they good!

The food safety chemist that I am never rests.... Never mind their taste - they were quite a colour. Do you happen to know if they were wild caught or farmed ?

I have been on shrimp farms in SE Asia and Central America. Their products aren't as brightly coloured - but maybe in the US where feed costs are likely to be less of an issue maybe there's more syntheitic colourant added to their diets. Alternatively are they like lobsters - blueish turning orange/red after cooking??

Boring, I know -- but knowing a bit about this osrt of thing is a bit of a a sideline in my day-to-day work
    Last edited by Glenn Kennedy; 07-17-2006 at 02:15 PM.
    Nikon D70s user

Glenn, I believe these were farmed in south Louisiana. However, farmed or wild, the color is the same. Very much like a small lobster or large shrimp, they are more of a grey color when live but turn to this vibrant red after cooking. Other ingrediants thrown into the pot, lemon corn on the cob, new potatoes and sausage, help with the appearance or contrast of color.
    There was no pp ont that photo. This is my brother and his son-in-law dumping them out of the pot.
    Sony DSC-P200
    Maybe I should change my name to
    An Amature Nomad!

Rice Noodle Crepe stuffed with Chicken and Bitter Melon

I was pretty lucky today to be able to shoot this handheld, no flash, semi-low light. In a break from my normal habit, I applied some USM, bumped up the saturation a bit, worked the levels a bit, used Neat Image, etc.

It's dim sum, and it's a Rice Noodle Crepe stuffed with Chicken and Bitter Melon. Certainly a step more adventurous than the standard fare which is either BBQ Pork, Shrimp or Beef.

76mm, f/3.8, 1/20 s, ISO 200

Rice Noodle Crepe stuffed with Chicken and Bitter Melon
    Last edited by Rex914; 07-29-2006 at 02:10 PM.

76mm, f/3.8, 1/60 s, ISO 100

From tonight's dinner. It's a type of noodle that's deep fried until it's crispy and crunchy. Then it's topped with a simple sauteed medley of prawns, carrots, mushrooms and bok choy.

Just to balance the subject matter a bit (too much Chinese food even for my taste!), I've dug up some photos from last year that I didn't post-process.

Here's one from Thomas Keller's Bouchon.

It's a delicious sausage called Boudin Blanc, and it's typically made using pork and veal. It's a delicate and tender but very flavorful sausage.

76mm, f/3.8, 1/30 s, ISO 100

This second photo is from a run-of-the-mill coffee shop close to our house. Needless to say, I didn't finish the whole meal.

76mm, f/3.8, 1/90 s, ISO 100