Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 64 of 201 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674114164 ... LastLast
    Hi Bald Eagle just out of interest how many shots do you take of each critter on average and what persentage are keepers? I notice that I have a lot of trouble getting exact focus using sigma 70-300 macro
    Pentax K10D Sigma18-125 f3.5-5.6 DC, Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8 EX, Sigma 50-500 EX APO DG, Vivitar Series 1 105 f2.5 Macro
    Kenko 2X Converter, Kenko Extention Tubes

Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, as it turns out, I was able to help I.D. it. here is a few new ones from tonite. hope you like. Tyger, I like your shots, no matter where I see them this one was sleeping, Shhhhhhhhhhh.
    Another great series BE, especially the caterpillar. And yes you got me so i do a little forum hopping Say, how do you find these creatures?
    Canon Digital Rebel 350D (XT)
    Canon 100-400mm F4.5 L, 85mm 1.8 18-55mm,

You create your reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Spot focus
    Hi Bald Eagle just out of interest how many shots do you take of each critter on average and what persentage are keepers? I notice that I have a lot of trouble getting exact focus using sigma 70-300 macro
    Howdy, On most of my shots I can average between 2 and 20, depends on the situation, it took me a little while to get used to my new lens, the 28-300. I always lug around my tripod, so that helps me some. The reason I sometimes take 20 of one, is because of the lighting angles I use, i take several from different angles until I find the one I like.
    Using a Canon 5D , Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, Kenko Ext. Tubes. Sigma 170-500, Canon 70-300 IS.
    new gallery, please take a look.
    http://www.pbase.com/1bald_eagle/macro

Quote Originally Posted by Tyger
    Another great series BE, especially the caterpillar. And yes you got me so i do a little forum hopping Say, how do you find these creatures?
    Thanks Tyger, I always appreciate the kind words. I find them just by walking slowly and keeping a sharp eye out for anything unusual and colorful. It always works.
    Using a Canon 5D , Sigma 150 2.8 Macro, Kenko Ext. Tubes. Sigma 170-500, Canon 70-300 IS.

saw this fellow last night
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pentax K10D Sigma18-125 f3.5-5.6 DC, Sigma 70-300 f4-5.6 APO DG Macro, Sigma 28-70 f2.8 EX, Sigma 50-500 EX APO DG, Vivitar Series 1 105 f2.5 Macro
    Kenko 2X Converter, Kenko Extention Tubes

bald eagle, is there an apterture setting(s) that you consistently use to achieve adequate DOF in your macros? are you also using any kind of micro positioning plate or other aid with your tripod? sorry, i just got my kenko tubes 2 days ago so i'm very new at this. i'm having a bit of trouble keeping the camera steady enough and the focus is off 1/3 of the time. i also had a hard time getting the camera/lens into the exact position when tripod mounted. any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated.
    canon 17-40 L, 70-200 f2.8 L, 400 f5.6 L, 50 f1.4 & f1.8, 1.4x TC, sigma 15 f2.8 fisheye, flash 500 DG Super, kenko extension tubes

note to self: don't participate in sad, silly threads unless you're looking for sad, silly responses.

"anti-BS filter" (from andy): http://dcresource.com/forums/showpos...94&postcount=4

spot focus, I like the darkness of this shot, very moody and its very sharp as well, I would think twice about walking up on this spider. well done.

Quote Originally Posted by ReF
    bald eagle, is there an apterture setting(s) that you consistently use to achieve adequate DOF in your macros? are you also using any kind of micro positioning plate or other aid with your tripod? sorry, i just got my kenko tubes 2 days ago so i'm very new at this. i'm having a bit of trouble keeping the camera steady enough and the focus is off 1/3 of the time. i also had a hard time getting the camera/lens into the exact position when tripod mounted. any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated.
    It took me several days to get used to the tubes, its a lot different when it comes to focusing and setting the shot up just right. as far as settings, here they are, I prefer to shoot in ISO of 100(when possible) f11- 1/125. I always use a tripod, no positioning plate. I also use a remote shutter release cable. This really helps me. an off-camera flash linked to the camera by a cable. I hand hold the flash because it gives me a ton of flexibility as to how the subject is lit from any angle I desire and I can vary the intensity. This is one of my "Golden Rules", always aim for the eyes, if the eyes are sharply in focus, the rest will follow. When using tubes, any movement will cause blurring, I found that out the hard way, wind drives me crazy sometimes. Hope all this helps. also, try using ISO of 400, a little more grainy sometimes, but it may help you.

I'm trying to get into the habit of learning about what i shoot nowadays, so after a little searching i think this little guy is a Shamrock Orbweaver. Hope you like it. And a crop of the above pic.
    Canon Digital Rebel 350D (XT)
    Canon 100-400mm F4.5 L, 85mm 1.8 18-55mm,

You create your reality.

Nothing special, but I had a *lot* of trouble taking this photo with my Fuji FinePix F10. For some reason it just wouldn't focus up close (less than 20cm or so). I didn't want to turn the light on and wake it up, so I ended up standing nearly 2m back and using the flash.

Fwiw, I don't know what it is - it flew in one night and attached itself to the bottom of my monitor.
    Attached Images Attached Images