Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

D70 or Digital Rebel

I am planning to buy my first digital SRL. I am deciding between the Digital Rebel and Nikon D70. I currently own Nookon F55 film camera with 2 lenses (AF 28-80 and AF 70-300). If I get the Nikon, I would be able to use my current lenses (as far as I know). However, for the same price I could get the Rebel with lenses made for digital.

Which one would you go for?

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steele
    I am planning to buy my first digital SRL. I am deciding between the Digital Rebel and Nikon D70. I currently own Nookon F55 film camera with 2 lenses (AF 28-80 and AF 70-300). If I get the Nikon, I would be able to use my current lenses (as far as I know). However, for the same price I could get the Rebel with lenses made for digital.

I'd look into the Olympus E-300 as well.

Depends which digital rebel you're talking about, the new 350D or the old 300D.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant
    Depends which digital rebel you're talking about, the new 350D or the old 300D.
    Well... the older - cheaper one.

Well... the older - cheaper one.
    In that case, definitely the D70. No question.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Hmm... I still think the E-300 represents better value.

I was looking at photo galleries for the Digital Rebel, D70 and E300 without knowing which one is which. At the end I chose the one I thought it had the best photos. It was the D70...

I was looking at photo galleries for the Digital Rebel, D70 and E300 without knowing which one is which. At the end I chose the one I thought it had the best photos. It was the D70...
    Image quality is heavily dependent on lens choice. A lot of those pics you saw were taken with the 18-55 kit lens, which is a basic starter lens (the worst one I have in my collection, and I have some low-end Canon lenses). The D70 comes with a very good kit lens. The Digital Rebel is at the very least the equal of the D70 in image quality sensor/processing quality (smoother image and doesn't suffer from occasional moire patterns).

If you can find a couple more hundred dollars in your budget, seriously consider the Rebel XT. As Jeff Keller said in his review that came out today "I'd say the Rebel XT easily beats the Nikon D70". As someone who trusts Jeff implicitly (as most of us do; otherwise we wouldn't be here) and as someone who has spent at least a couple of weeks with both, I'd say that's the final word on that comparison.

Here's a short review of the Nikon D70 if you're interested, illustrating its benefits and shortcomings.

To answer your original question, I'd go for the D70 simply because of 1) your current investment and 2) the D70 has more features (Rebel with hack is still relatively "crippled", esp. with metering and focusing modes) 3) the black body looks cooler and feels very well built. The Digital Rebel still has slightly better image quality, but that's about it between the two.

The true competitor (and superior) to the D70 is the Rebel XT; that's the camera to have in that class unless you have a heavy Nikon investment in Nikkor ED-IF or D lenses. Then again, if you had lenses like that you'd probably be looking at a D2X or a D2H.
    Last edited by gabester; 04-16-2005 at 06:20 PM.