Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Aerial photos

Aerial photos

I have a chance to go fly over some property and take some aerial photos. This just came up and it will either be this afternoon or Mon. morning. I have a Panasonic FZ-3 and am wondering what settings would be best since I am new to this camera and I'll only get one chance to take pictures.

Shutter speed?
    Focus settings?
    What do I do with the AF mode? Metering mode?
    Medium quality with 1600 pic. size?

Thanks for any help since this is a once in a long time chance.

I don't own this camera - I do believe it has Image Stabilisation or Anti Shake? - If so - use that! Also set your shutter speed to a fast shutter speed - I usually put it in Apperture priority and set it to a wide apperture to ensure the camera Automatically gives me the fastes shutter speed at any given moment. Use as high a resolution as you can - you may wish to blow up a portion of the picture. If you have been happy otherwise with the picture quality - don't change anything. Maybe an owner could advise more precisely about contrast saturation sharpness etc.
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    I've done aerial photos. If you hand-hold then camera shake will be minimal. I've used a 35mm compact to do my aerial photos. I believe it had a 38mm lens and a fixed shutter speed. The problem I had was more with atmospheric haze and the quality of the perspex cockpit window (on the occasions when shooting through the window was best).

I'd suggest not using a long lens for aerial photography but a wide lens instead.

Thank you very much. I got to shoot them through the open door and it was clear and sunny out. The pictures turned out great!!