Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 90 of 401 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100140190 ... LastLast
    wombat - it doesn't matter if your Geranium is right or wrong - as it is it looks great!. Yep - I find the same in Macro, most often under expose. But I was refering to the fact that you had a balance of light (under or over a tad not withstanding) at 500thsec with f8 - I struggle often at the moment, with the flower shots, to get anything usable shutter speed wise if I go for f5.6 - I have even shaken the antishake!!!
    ...back to the red issue (which I have discussed before I know)
    Often, wth reds and purples, we need to under expose it seems ~ but even then it doesn't always look right. I took a series of these Gladioli, which are on the Orange side of red, and they seemed to wash out on detail even with under exposing. Tweaking in curves worked fairly well though.
    The top pic is the tweaked and the botton the orig. -0.7ev, 50ASA,F5.6 1/6th sec ~ indoors by the window.
    PS - tweaks were quite gentle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Another comparison - from the same set - remember - these were not in bright sunlight - so this is a colour thing really. I don't always have a problem with red - I am just highlighting what can happen sometimes. As I have said before I am not alone in this, I have seen other very respectable photographers pics exhibiting the same thing. The trick, I guess, would be to be able to spot when it might happen and compensate when taking the pic.
    This one from the same set then - orig on the left, tweaked on the right - only resized and minimal USM after. I think I very slightly over cooked the green - but never mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler
    Another comparison - from the same set - remember - these were not in bright sunlight - so this is a colour thing really.
    Thanks for an excellent object lesson in the problems and cures of the "red" syndrome. It is amazing how you have changed the shots just with tweaking - was this done in Photoshop?

Also I have been intrigued by the term "tweaked to correct in curves". I have seen curves quoted any times but have never had the nerve to show my ignorance. Does it refer to the curves in histograms? Does tweaking curves mean adjusting them so they lie within say 1-99% on the histogram?

Here is a hydrangea as my flower of the day - with all the right curves in all the right places - hopefully .

regards and thanks
    Wombat

But I was refering to the fact that you had a balance of light (under or over a tad not withstanding) at 500thsec with f8 - I struggle often at the moment, with the flower shots, to get anything usable shutter speed wise if I go for f5.6 - I have even shaken the antishake!!!
    I have checked a few shootings and only the one containing the delphinium shot was consistently about 500thsec with f8. I can only put it down to a noonday sun in a cloudless sky in the middle of summer?

regards
    Wombat

Wombat - despite the Histograms thread - I am not much the wiser - they are just squiggly lines to me - I would need to actually talk to an expert who migt show me how they translate.
    Curves - thats where you get a little graph line from bottom left up to top right. Bottom left is shadows and top right is highlights. No I didn't actually use Photoshop - I have Serif which is quite similar. I can make an anchor anwhere along the diagonal line, and as many as I choose, and lift or lower that part of the light range - also it can be done in just red, blue or green - so colour tweaking can be done that way as well as the conventional colour adjustment methods.
    Lovely Lovely! Hydrangea BTW

Wombat - despite the Histograms thread - I am not much the wiser - they are just squiggly lines to me - I would need to actually talk to an expert who migt show me how they translate.
    Curves - thats where you get a little graph line from bottom left up to top right. Bottom left is shadows and top right is highlights. No I didn't actually use Photoshop - I have Serif which is quite similar. I can make an anchor anwhere along the diagonal line, and as many as I choose, and lift or lower that part of the light range - also it can be done in just red, blue or green - so colour tweaking can be done that way as well as the conventional colour adjustment methods.
    Lovely Lovely! Hydrangea BTW
    Thanks for the kind comment and many thanks for explaining the curves. I only have Picassa and that is why I didn't know what everyone was talking about. Still waiting for my pocket money rise to be able to get a slightly more sensitive photo editor.

regards
    Wombat

One Tiny Flower

This is my very humble contribution to this fantastic thread. hope you like.

For today, some more Graminaeae aka Poaceae aka grasses. In this case, wopping big grasses:

That is the male flower of the corn plant, aka the maize plant aka Zea mais L. You can always recognize the really snotty botanists by their inclusion of that L. 10 points for Gryffindor if anyone knows what it means (not that I'm reading the new Harry Potter book or anything).

The male flower proudly holds up its various appendages, on the eager look-out for...

... the bashful female flower. Mind you, the female turns out to be the only one of any use in the end. Notice that she has reddish brown hair, so maybe we can call her Hermione or even Ginny (which somehow sounds better than Fred, who has left Hogwarts in any case).
    Gerard Stafleu
    Gallery at http://www.flickr.com/photos/gstafleu

Geoff & Wombat - great shots!
    Thought I would add another.

Canon 20D, EF50 f1.8, 1/1000 @ f5.6, ISO 100

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by gstafleu
    ... really snotty botanists by their inclusion of that L. 10 points for Gryffindor if anyone knows what it means
    If I had to wager a guess, I would say, "Linnaeus" after Carolus Linnaeus, the Swedish guy who came up with the whole classificatioin of plants and animals mess...

Now, on to my flower pics...

A yellow Daffodil

A light pink Azalea

A Pink Lily

A Red Amaryllis

Mike
    I'm not resourseful enough to insert a witty quip or intelligent quote here...

My PBase Gallery

Panasonic DMC-FZ20