Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 65 of 401 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775115165 ... LastLast
    one more
    panasonic lumix fz-20
    nikon d200 + nikkor 28-70 f/2.8 "beast" + sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6/3 + nikkor 50 f/1.8

Wow, what a thread!

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly
    Over the next couple of days I would like to share with you some excellent flower close-ups from digital cameras that will surprise you. Our first photo is of a Bird of Paradise flower taken in San Pedro, Ca with a Pentax S5i. It will surprise you.

Sarah Joyce
    Hi Sarah,

As the official muse of this thread you must be quite pleased with the result so far. It took me forever to get through the 63 pages and a huge proportion of the images are stunning. I went ahead and downloaded them all to a folder and made a slide show out of it. As a collection it is quite impressive.

I didn't notice any silk tree flowers so I will post a link if anybody wants to see them. Some people call them mimosas.

http://www.karma-lab.com/forum/showt...6508#post26508

I'm sure I will be seeing a lot of you around the forum in the future.

Scatamousche

scatamouche-

That's the whole idea. People enjoy posting their photos, reap the compliments, hear suggestions, and improve in the process, while enjoying something beautiful. I am sure it does make an impressive slide show. Thanks for your comments.

Sarah Joyce

Hi!

Here's my first attempt! I'll post more later as I snap away.

WOW! That is really pretty! I love the way it looks as if the flower is all lit up.

My attempts for today were well blurry. If my hand didn't shake then the darn flowers did lol. Definitely not a good idea to take pictures when it is windy. Plus I started out an hour before sunset ... its waaaay too hot to get out of the house anytime before that. So that meant not too much light ... worked on P mode and the camera really liked choosing slower shutter speed 'cos of the lighting. So there I was standing over the flowers telling them to stop moving in the wind ... too bad they don't listen ;-)

Oh well here goes ...today's effort after deleting so many blurry ones though not too happy with the first one:

This one was taken at a different time I just wish the background was more blurred. This was at 1/50s and F2.7. Any suggestions?

wall, Bald Eagle: Thank you, it's always nice to know when you're doing something right! I'm also very impressed with your work. In fact, I'm impressed with all the photos here, it's all very nice to rest one's eyes on!

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    Fascinating set of shots Geoff. It has made me go and look through my limited supply red flower shots. Certainly for my Canon A80 the problem of saturation appears to be related more to the orange-reds rather than than the bluish reds. Hmmm! thought I might get away without using names of colours as they are a bit subjective, however vermillion [an orange red] seems to be a greater problem than crimson [a blood colour] if you see what I mean. A good shot of red poppies has evaded me so far. I read recently that flowers have a wide variety of textures from matt to shiny and wonder if the "difficult flowers" are those with shinier petals.

Here is an orange-red nasturtium, very saturated but I am sure it was just as orange-red as this. I am sure the human eye/brain adjusts to colours in a way a camera cannot.

regards
    Wombat
    Wombat, very interesting comparison - I'm guessing your processed version was a bit more true to the orig flower (?) - The other thing, coupled with this, is the red highlights seem to either wash out or saturate to the point of fine detail loss - this is a generalisation I have observed with many photos by many people - inclusing myself. With the A-200, more so, I tend to under expose the shot a bit which seems to allow these details to remain in tact. The Oly changes the colours a bit with purples and reds - despite a jog in the direction of blue on the on board digital colour tweek. Not a big prob. The A-200 is slightly truer in that respect.
    This Pic is the Honeysuckle in my Back garden, taken looking upwards at the flower. I took 2 shots - one slightly less close with more DOF/smaller apperture. But I decided I liked this one a bit better with the shallower focus making you focus on the middle flower more. (A-200, F4, 1/125th sec,176mm equiv, 0ev ) This didn't mess up with saturation etc, and this is the right colour - assuming your Screen is set up OK
    Last edited by Geoff Chandler; 06-25-2005 at 06:07 PM.
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

not quite as spectacular as some other flowers or photographs. my little conrtibution none the less.

Heading Out!

Many thanks to all of you who have so faithfully posted really great flower photos on this thread. Proudly, we can all say that this is the most successful thread in the photo gallery.

I am leaving for Russia to do some workshops, then I think I will take some time off. So I will not be posting on this forum for awhile. Good luck to everyone of you and again many sincere thanks for all of your wondeful contributions.

Sarah Joyce