Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 11 of 401 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thansk Ref

Quote Originally Posted by ReF
    wow, that's awesome! i'm really interested in what the settings/lighting conditions were.
    Hi Ref

Thanks for the comments. I am only a beginner but personally find indoor shots much more satisfying as there are less variables for me to worry about like my shakey hands and dodgy knees, wind swept flowers, trying to view the LCD with distance glasses, etc. This shot was taken on my Canon A80, Aperture f/8, exposure time 1/8sec. I usually take shots on cloudy days although this shot was taken in gentle sunshine and the exposure compensation was turned down -2/3.

The attached shot was taken at the same time but using a piece of plastic milk carton as a diffuser - I have to colour adjust afterwards as the milk carton diffuser tends to warm the colours. This shot has less contrast and a softer feel and the centres of the flowers are not overexposed.

Regards
    Wombat
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Great Pictures!!

Wombat, Extremely nice composition and great eye towards placement. Great shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    Hi Ref

Thanks for the comments. I am only a beginner but personally find indoor shots much more satisfying as there are less variables for me to worry about like my shakey hands and dodgy knees, wind swept flowers, trying to view the LCD with distance glasses, etc. This shot was taken on my Canon A80, Aperture f/8, exposure time 1/8sec. I usually take shots on cloudy days although this shot was taken in gentle sunshine and the exposure compensation was turned down -2/3.

The attached shot was taken at the same time but using a piece of plastic milk carton as a diffuser - I have to colour adjust afterwards as the milk carton diffuser tends to warm the colours. This shot has less contrast and a softer feel and the centres of the flowers are not overexposed.

Regards
    Wombat
    sorry wombat, but now i'm even more confused
    so i guess what you are saying is that you are using natural lighting, but indoors, right? and the milk carton diffuser is placed in front of the lens?? i've heard of such materials being used in front of light sources such as flashes for diffusion, but i assumed that it would cause too much blur if placed in front of the lens. what are you using for the black background?
    sorry for so many questions, but i'm really interested in learning your technique, as the results are beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by ReF
    sorry wombat, but now i'm even more confused
    so i guess what you are saying is that you are using natural lighting, but indoors, right? and the milk carton diffuser is placed in front of the lens?? i've heard of such materials being used in front of light sources such as flashes for diffusion, but i assumed that it would cause too much blur if placed in front of the lens. what are you using for the black background?
    sorry for so many questions, but i'm really interested in learning your technique, as the results are beautiful!
    Hi again ReF

Many thanks for your interest. You've got it - shot indoors but using natural light from a window. The milk carton diffuser I hold between the light source i.e. window and the object. I think its slightly "bobbly" surface scatters the light into different directions and thus reduces the sharpness and intensity of the shadows. I believe parchment used for tracing drawings will work as well. I have even used a sheet of white paper although this probably acts as much as a light reducer as a diffuser.

The black background is simply a piece of black card curved into a cardboard box - thus no corners. I keep this in shadow [the black is a more an absence of light] and shoot the flowers indoors against this. Even light on black card looks very grey. The interior of a cardboard box even in shade isn't black.

I am only a beginner playing and am sure there are much more professional ways of handling light that, I have read, is the raw material for photographers.

If you would like to contact me through a private message I will be more than happy to send some shots of my "cardboard box studio".

Regards
    Wombat

Meanwhile ~
    Someone or something is nibbling our Pansies!!!
    (A-200 today tele macro)
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler
    Meanwhile ~
    Someone or something is nibbling our Pansies!!!
    (A-200 today tele macro)
    Well it ain't me Geoff - maybe this should be on the food thread? Nice shot of what I call "funny faces".

Regards
    Wombat

Not sure what this is called.

New Growth

These 2 pics taken on Tuesday '003' was taken when the light was how I wanted it with the fixed focal length macro on the oly at 38mm liked the back lighting on the leaf showing the veins - but the dof was too much even at widest apperture - resulting in the car in the background distracting from the image. The 002 was taken later on the A-200 on telephoto macro - dof less reulting in blurred background - but the light wasn't what I originally wanted. Also there were some ants running up and down - but they were a bit fast and blurred - I will try again for the ants later.
    Anyway - the point was going to be New Growth on the side of the tree.
    So - in the light of my dissatisfaction with both I am happy to recieve comments - good or bad.
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Dogwood bloom

Thought I would add to the thread. 1/500 @ f5.6 ISO 100 Canon 20D with kit lens. Comments?

Thanks,
    Dennis