Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 401 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Bluedog-

You raise an excellent point. Even the slightest breeze can move your subject flowers around a bit. I like to shoot very early or late in the afternoon to minimize the breezes and for the best lighting.

Sarah Joyce

Outdoor macro challanges

[QUOTE=Bluedog]but its a challenge outdoors with the slightest bit of wind blowing ...
    QUOTE]

Very true and then there is the problem of getting creaky joints to manoeuvre the photographer to flower level ;-) and then there is standing up again ;-)

However, just to prove that I do venture forth from my "cardboard box studio" here are some snakes head fritillaries. Canon A80, exp. 1/500s, ap. f/4.5, image cropped quite heavily. Pity the leaf got in the way :-(

regards
    Wombat
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Wombat; 04-17-2005 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Reduction in image size

Nice shot with the A80 Wombat. Here's another of mine learning with the Sigma 18-125mm under semi cloudy morning light taken yesterday:

Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS| Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon Speedlite 430EX + Sto-Fen Omni Bounce | Manfrotto 3001BD & 680B/486RC2 | Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Digital Filters | Hitech ND & GND Filters | Bags > Kata R-103 + Lowepro Nova 5 AW

RawShooter | premium 2006 > My PBase Gallery

Tulips macro

2 tulips taken today
    aperture priority, macro mode (not better than 10cm with the sony V3), f/4.5, 1/80s and 1/100s, spot metring mode

Jeff

Oh, wait I have another one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog
    Here's another of mine learning with the Sigma 18-125mm under semi cloudy morning light taken yesterday
    I like this shot of the petunias? especially the composition and the "duskiness" of the whole shot. I suspect this was due to the cloudy conditions and therefore lack of strong shadows - suits the pink of the petunia to my way of thinking.

The tulips are great - socks you in the eye with all those jazzy yellows and reds. The strong light seems to suit these flowers.

I suspect there is a lesson for me to learn here about different flowers favouring different light sources. I seem to remember that light colours in gardens show up best towards dusk. So much to learn and try. ;-)

Regards
    Wombat

Bluedog, Wombat, Gary and Jeff-

Many thanks for some fine macro examples. Yes, I agree we can learn a bit from each example that we see and in the process fine tune our own technique bit by bit.

Sarah Joyce

I'm not big on the whole taking flower marcros per se, but it was nice outside, so I took my first flower macro (barely) with my new Canon SD500 just to see how it would do. Kind of a pathetic flower...

Auto on marco setting...

Wow! JTL-

That is a great flower macro. It certainly shows how capable the Canon SD-500 really is!

Sarah Joyce

Speakinglightly, yes I agree. I think soon I need to replace my compact with the SD500. Currently its a Canon S500.