Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question recharging batteries

A Quick Question...

Do I need to run my battery down completely now and then before recharging or is it ok to charge it when it still has half of its charge left? I tried to run it down once but my camera keeps going into sleep mode and won't drain my battery :-) I have a coolpix 5400.

Thanks!
    Kim M

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim M
    A Quick Question...

Do I need to run my battery down completely now and then before recharging or is it ok to charge it when it still has half of its charge left? I tried to run it down once but my camera keeps going into sleep mode and won't drain my battery :-) I have a coolpix 5400.

Thanks!
    Kim M
    I have heard that running the battery down to zero once a month is good for it. I know my battery on my mobile phone lasted about 4 years by doing this every time. I didn't have a similar phone and battery to keep charged in order to compare. I'd say charge it when it needs and hope for the best. At worst, it costs $15 for a new battery.

Although it doesn't make sense, it is always better to run the battery down to near dead before recharging it. Recharging it at 75% capacity or even half capacity is said to be very bad. Again, I don't know why, but that's the general consensus.

Based off of cellphone battery best practices, if you have a Nimh battery, you have to let it die completely so you get a deep cycle charge. Nimh batteries have "battery memory", so recharging before the battery dies actually shortens the life of the battery. Lithium Ion batteries have battery memory as well, but can be reset when the battery is completely discharged. So you could charge a Lithium Ion battery before it dies, and it will not last as long the second time around, but if you let it die the next time, you will get a full charge on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim M
    A Quick Question...

Thanks!
    Kim M
    Most of my friends who are professional photographers say that its good to run down batteries completely once a month. They in fact just sit there and keep pressing the shutter button to run the battery down! I'm not sure about the reasoning behind it though.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_hendricks
    Most of my friends who are professional photographers say that its good to run down batteries completely once a month. They in fact just sit there and keep pressing the shutter button to run the battery down! I'm not sure about the reasoning behind it though.
    I used to use a bulb of the correct voltage with wires soldered to it. I'd press the wires against the battery contacts and hold them in place with a couple of elastic bands until the battery had fully died.

If you shop around you should be able to get a charger that will flatten your batteries prior to recharging, Maha being one brand although not sure which one for your Nikon. I wasnt aware NiMh batteries suffered from memory effect I thought that was the older NiCad.

Smile Thanks for the replies

Thanks to all who answered. I will make a point of running my battery down on a regular basis. I'm also going to pick up a second one so I can have one with a full charge when I'm heading out and don't have a full charge on my first one.

Happy Spring!
    Kim M