Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Video editing tools - AVI to MPEG

Hi all,

I love my Canon SD300 but the videos in AVI format are quiet large. I'm looking for some free/cheap tools that allow me to convert from AVI to MPEG. Any suggestions?

I'm on a Windows 2000 box at home, but could use my XP work laptop in a pinch. I never expected to use the video mode so much, but the video mode on the Canon is so much better than the one on my Olympus that it's really worthwhile.

-dave-

http://www.videohelp.com/ a lot of info there.

You can check out this piece of software that allows conversion of AVI to MPEG.

Years ago I tried this http://www.winmpg.com/whats-new.html; it worked OK from what remember.

Again from memory it had basic settings & I didn't buy it as I didn't need to use it that much.

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky
    Hi all,

I love my Canon SD300 but the videos in AVI format are quiet large. I'm looking for some free/cheap tools that allow me to convert from AVI to MPEG. Any suggestions?

I'm on a Windows 2000 box at home, but could use my XP work laptop in a pinch. I never expected to use the video mode so much, but the video mode on the Canon is so much better than the one on my Olympus that it's really worthwhile.

-dave-
    I've tried them all and there's only one that I found works all the time, every time...Capturex Image Grabber by Cliprex Video Software. Approx $30.00 USD. 30-day free trial. If you like it, don't buy from their site...for some reason, it's cheaper at other shareware sites...
    http://www.cliprex.com/free_dvd_vide...desc,DESC.html

Capturex Image Grabber is pretty good. I've a couple of videographer friends using it for small projects.

Hi all,

I love my Canon SD300 but the videos in AVI format are quiet large. I'm looking for some free/cheap tools that allow me to convert from AVI to MPEG. Any suggestions? -dave-
    Sorry...misread your post...must be because I'm in the middle of a birthday party project grabbing stills from AVIs...which is what Capturex does.

There are a lot of AVI to MPEG converters...most no more than $30.00 US...I've tried WinMPG...used to be buggy, but it's been pretty much fixed...there's also the Fly Dragon converter...and, if you need lots of codecs and formats, there's imTOO....it also has a pretty good interface...but honestly, there's about 20 of them at this point...most have free trials...some are very basic....some are very complicated...some are annoying and some are simple...

Ok, On A Similar Topic...

...If I convert an AVI file to an MPG or MPEG or MOV file...is the frame rate exactly the same, ie, will the produced conversion contain the exact same number of frames?

I ask, as I am creating an animated movie game wherein the player must respond to the action by hitting an arrow key, etc, to make a decision and continue the animation...it is integral that the MOV/MPEG/MPG file have the EXACT same number of frames as the AVI source, so I can program the game when I import the converted file (I produce the original animation in AVI, WAY BIG for clarity, etc...then use a converted MOV/MPEG/MPG in the game software....the end result is something akin to the old arcade classics 'Dragons Lair' or 'Space Ace'...

Please email me at kkarstens@cableone.net with any assistance you can offer...

Thanks!

K

Hi all,
    Converting an Avi file to an Mpeg file will not make your filesize that much smaller - unless you severly reduce the bitrate which would result in severe loss of quality, or if your AVI file is a DV-video file which I doubt it is.

If you want to reduce the filesize of the video there are two (in this case probably better) options:
    - Convert your AVI file to another format, for example .mov (Quicktime) or .wmv (Windows Media Video). These are usually smaller than a AVI file.
    - Convert your AVI file to another AVI file with a different codec. Examples of codecs you could use are the Mpeg-4 codec by Microsoft, the Div-X codec and the X-vid codec. They can limit your filesize while the quality is retained.

Here is some free software that can be used for both of the above conversions. I have not tried it out, don't blame me if anything goes wrong when using this software. I don't know if all codecs are included in this program or if you should download them separatly.

This thread was revived by another user after many months. I've been using Windows Movie Maker and it works fine for my needs.

-dave-