Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

SD500 Question, Shutter Release

Forgive me for this rather elemental operational question.

I have noticed on longer exposure shots, that a pretty significant delay happens when I press the shutter release to when I head the shutter click.

I think I have figured out that the click is the end of the exposure and that the beginning is happening inaudilby.

Is this true, is the beginning of the exposure silent, and the end is the actual click of the shutter?

Another obersation I wish to confirm with others is when you switch from a shooting mode to playback mode is there a distictive delay to the mode change? When I turn the mode dial from automatic shooting position to playback i get this 1/2 second or delay, or so then it makes an audible click and actually makes the change. I have had a few SD500's, due to various quality issues, and don't really recall the delay on the others, but who knows?

I took a few night shots with the camera and yes the start of it is silent and the end is the shutter sound. There is a slight delay going into playback mode, even longer going back to picture mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    I took a few night shots with the camera and yes the start of it is silent and the end is the shutter sound. There is a slight delay going into playback mode, even longer going back to picture mode.
    Thanks for the info. I have become hypersensative to this stuff, so I just want to make sure I have a good camera before my 14 days are up.

Sounds like a good camera to me. Mine does that too. How are you liking the SD500 so far?

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiJack
    Sounds like a good camera to me. Mine does that too. How are you liking the SD500 so far?

Wes
    It's pretty awesome. The picture quality is really good and the movie mode is something I can actually use.

The Digic II makes it so fast, it is hard to believe. I really notice it when I go to take a shot with my old S110.