Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

dReb XT Shots Look Pretty Good To Me

I hope George isn't reading this ...but those dReb XT shots look pretty good to me...

I didn't want to have to go out and but a dSLR, but now I might have to...

BTW...my main criteria are size and weight...the smaller and lighter the better...I was previously considering a *ist D for this reason, but now the XT seems to fit the bill...
    Last edited by JTL; 04-02-2005 at 06:32 PM.

Which ones are you referring to?

Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS| Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon Speedlite 430EX + Sto-Fen Omni Bounce | Manfrotto 3001BD & 680B/486RC2 | Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Digital Filters | Hitech ND & GND Filters | Bags > Kata R-103 + Lowepro Nova 5 AW

RawShooter | premium 2006 > My PBase Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog
    Which ones are you referring to?
    Sorry...the ones that Jeff posted...

The ones with the Sigma lens he used look better than the Kit lens for sure. Have you seen some of my XT/Kit lens results in the Photo Gallery section?

Canon EOS 30D | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS| Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Canon Speedlite 430EX + Sto-Fen Omni Bounce | Manfrotto 3001BD & 680B/486RC2 | Hoya Super HMC Pro1 Digital Filters | Hitech ND & GND Filters | Bags > Kata R-103 + Lowepro Nova 5 AW

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog
    The ones with the Sigma lens he used look better than the Kit lens for sure. Have you seen some of my XT/Kit lens results in the Photo Gallery section?
    Thanks! Great shots! I don't think that the kit lens is half as bad as everyone makes it sound...

I tend to agree with you as I've gotten some pretty nice results with mine.

This is specifically NOT a Canon comment, but if you plan on buying a DSLR AND if you are luck enough to have a Micro Center store nearby, hold off on your purchase for a week. They are most likely doing their 20% off all digital cameras promotion as they always do around that time. 20% off on any DSLR is a HUGE amount of money saved. Heck, you could almost get a 20D for the price of a D70 or XT normally with 20% off.

However, don't lynch me if this doesn't happen this year or happens later than I said. I'm only predicting this based on what's happened the past 4 years in a row.
    Last edited by Rex914; 04-02-2005 at 11:52 PM. Reason: Major Typo :P

Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    George officially doesn't care anymore. Buy whatever the heck you want. It's your $$$.
    Oh dear - you guys having some argument here?

Quote Originally Posted by JTL
    BTW...my main criteria are size and weight...the smaller and lighter the better...I was previously considering a *ist D for this reason, but now the XT seems to fit the bill...
    I hope you meant the *ist DS. The original costs $500 more and is a less refined camera.

If size and weight are important, then you really only have 2 choices right now: the XT and the *ist DS. With no brand loyalty at hand before, I could have recommended the Rebel if picture quality was important and the Pentax for better build quality and features. Now with the XT, I can no longer recommend the Pentax. Despite what I'm hearing, Canon did improve quite a bit on the original and actually placed in many of the missing features from the original Rebel. The XT is a much stronger entrant than the Pentax, plus you have a much better and larger lens lineup.

There is the Nikon D50 around the corner, but that isn't coming for months into the stores and we have close to no info. on that. I have a strong hunch though that it will Nikon's "compact DSLR." Consumers like you are sparking the creation of the compact DSLR market, and you should be proud to be taking part in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    I hope you meant the *ist DS. The original costs $500 more and is a less refined camera.
    Yes...I most certainly meant the DS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    Now with the XT, I can no longer recommend the Pentax. Despite what I'm hearing, Canon did improve quite a bit on the original and actually placed in many of the missing features from the original Rebel. The XT is a much stronger entrant than the Pentax, plus you have a much better and larger lens lineup.
    I could not have expressed what I was thinking better myself. I've been to the store several times to play with the *ist DS. I was almost ready to commit and out comes the 350D. Now, am I really going to buy the Pentax over the Canon? I don't think that's gonna happen, although I've have spent practically no time with the 350D in my hands. Just knowing it's out there is somehow comforting, though. I just spent $500.00 on my new toy, the SD500...so I don't feel like I have to rush out and get it...but once the weather starts improving, the photo bug starts biting...

Thanks for the feedback!