Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SkiPatroller Guest

Where Should I Sell My Camera(s)

I couldn't find a more relevant "General Topic"...

I currently have a Canon G3, a Canon EOL Elan IIe, a Canon (original) APS Elph, an Asahi Pentax KX, and others. I'd like to upgrade to a Digital SLR, but need to sell my current equipment (I don't shoot film at all anymore). Can any of you forum members recommend a good (or the best) online place to sell cameras and darkroom equipment?

Sell it on eBay

I have sold lots of equipment on eBay with very few issues. Some suggestions;

1. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. Be realistic on your reserve and prices.

2. Research the going price for the camera body, lens etc. by using advanced search and choosing completed items. You might find some equipment isn't worth selling. I usually donate this stuff to a student at a local high school or college.

3. I have sold lots of equipment to buyers in Japan, Korea and Europe, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Use Paypal for payment and it's easy. Buyer pays shipping, duties and taxes. Compare using FedEx before defaulting to USPS for shipments.

4. Buy a new box rather than reusing an old box for shipping. Cardboard looses 20% of it's strength each time its used. I always insure packages and double box lens and camera bodies.

5. Good photos of the item(s) and an honest appraisal of condition really helps. I tend to be conservative on the condition and guarantee the item is exactly as described. I include serial numbers, manuals and cases when they are available.

Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiPatroller

I currently have a Canon G3, a Canon EOL Elan IIe, a Canon (original) APS Elph, an Asahi Pentax KX, and others. I'd like to upgrade to a Digital SLR, but need to sell my current equipment (I don't shoot film at all anymore). Can any of you forum members recommend a good (or the best) online place to sell cameras and darkroom equipment?
    Try the small ads locally. I don't think you'll get much for the KX. I suspect you'll be lucky to get anything for the elph. The G3 should be OK. The elan Iie if it's digital will be worth virtunally nothing. Ebay is good for shifting unshiftable. low-priced junk but not for anything else.

eBay 114,000,000 users and $30 billion in Sales

Interesting comment on eBay. With 114,000,000 registered users and nearly $30 billion dollars in sales a lot more than junk is selling on eBay. Just be careful what you buy and how much you pay for it.

One article on Motley Fool got my attention. http://www.fool.com/news/commentary/...ry04092401.htm

Smile The Easy Way To Sell

Ebay tends to be the best place to sell. Since you are selling directly to the end user you get much high prices than selling to camera dealers.
    I've used the consignment services of http://www.sellmycameras.com and I got some great prices for my vintage photo gear. It was really easy all I had to do was pack it up and ship it to them and wait for the check! They photographed it and sold it all on ebay for top prices!

Quote Originally Posted by SkiPatroller View Post

www.fredmiranda.com is a good place to sell gear. The advantage over eBay is that you don't have to pay any commissions but you can still use Paypal for payment if you wish.

another possibility

Hi folks,

I just joined the forum here and wanted to reply to this post. I own www.cameraprices.com and in the past I have thought about adding a section on the site for fellow photographers to sell their equipment. l wanted to ask though, what would it take for you to give a service like that a try? I ask because cameraprices is not eBay with a big name etc. Any feedback would be appreciated.

www.photo.net used to have a section where you could list items for sell as well.

Cheers

What happened to the days when spam was creative?
    Gear List:
    Canon 40D + Sigma 18-50mm + Canon 55-250mm

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    What happened to the days when spam was creative?
    This guy's been around since 2007. That's a awfully long time to lurk on a board to post spam. This is a zombie thread and somewhat inappropriate to post those links, but I don't think it's spam.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiPatroller View Post

You might consider APUG for the film cameras. They have a very religious film only following and and for sale area. You might encounter an issue not being a member previously, but worth a shot.