Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Panasonic D-Snap SV-AS10

Hello,

I am interested to buy the Panasonic D-Snap (with rotatable lens model) but the picture is not as sharp as I would like after testing a demo set from the shop. I need to take objects 30-80 cm away. How can I adjust this digital camera to increase the sharpness by just a little?

Could I paste a little focussing lens-like film on the lens to enhance the sharpness? I have checked with a few digi-cam forums but so far no expert has emerged. This cam is only 2 mega pixels. Would it affect sharpness or just the printable size? I just need a little bit more sharpness to see my details. I like this camera because of its size. I do not need to take distant pictures thus no need for zoom.

Would anyone be able to help?

Best regards,
    Asellar
    Last edited by ASELLAR; 03-31-2005 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ASELLAR
    Hello,

I am interested to buy the Panasonic D-Snap (with rotatable lens model) but the picture is not as sharp as I would like after testing a demo set from the shop. I need to take objects 30-80 cm away. How can I adjust this digital camera to increase the sharpness by just a little?

Could I paste a little focussing lens-like film on the lens to enhance the sharpness?
    It would be my guess that anything you put in front of the lens is going to degrade the image sharpness. Have you tried using a post processing program like PSP or PS to adjust the sharpness after the shot was taken? The unsharp mask feature that a lot of current image processing software applications have available can do wonders with a soft focused image.
    Tyler
    Panasonic DMC FZ-20, FZ-50, Wired Remote, Sunpak 383
    DCR-6600, TCON 14B, Nikon #5T+6T
    FZ20 Photo Gallery

Hi Tyler,

The pictures I take are near objects about 30-50 cm away. Is the 2 Mega Pixel sufficient? Any free software you can recommend to sharpen the images? Can Pocket PC OS adjust it without external software to render images? Mine is a VGA screen. What determines a sharp image?

To be honest, I could not understand why a 2 Mega Pixel camera could not take a clear picture when a 1.3 mega phone camera can take pretty clear pictures already.

Any cameras better than this I can buy?

Awaiting your reply.

Cheers.
    Asellar

Hi Tyler,

The pictures I take are near objects about 30-50 cm away. Is the 2 Mega Pixel sufficient? Any free software you can recommend to sharpen the images? Can Pocket PC OS adjust it without external software to render images? Mine is a VGA screen. What determines a sharp image?

To be honest, I could not understand why a 2 Mega Pixel camera could not take a clear picture when a 1.3 mega phone camera can take pretty clear pictures already.

Any cameras better than this I can buy?

Awaiting your reply.

Cheers.
    Asellar
    I just checked the specifications on the D-Snap on the panasonic web site and it says the minimum focus distance for that camera is 50cm in normal shooting mode and 10cm in macro mode. If you are not switching to macro mode your pictures will come out blurry anywhere under 50cm. There is likely a button to press or a menu selection to set it to macro mode and that is the shooting mode you should be using for close-up shots and they should be sharp coming out of the camera.

A 2mp camera should be able to produce pictures as sharp as a 5mp camera. the only difference will the the maximum size of pictures you can take with it. At VGA resolution 2mp should be more than enough.

I don't know anything about pocket PCs so can't answer that question and as far as free software that can sharpen pictures I would think the GIMP would have those capabilities and is free.

There are probably many cameras that are better than the D-Snap but without knowing your budget and general shooting requirements I would hate to recommend anything specific.
    Tyler
    FZ20 Photo Gallery

Smile

Hi Tyler,

Thanks. That is very good advice. Indeed, many more better digital cameras exist out there and at lower price and better quality. But I am looking for such a camera which has a rotating lens and no motor noise from shutters found in optical zoom cameras. I asked in other forums and was told the light noise from the shutter is unavoidable even if I don't use any zoom.

best regards,
    Asellar

Hello,

If I use this D-snap camera to take newspaper kind of printing from about 55cm, would I be able read the words clearly?

Hope someone here can advice me. Would appreciate it.

regards,
    Asellar

Errr.... Is there anybody home? Why is it that I am having problem getting any reply?

Errr.... Is there anybody home? Why is it that I am having problem getting any reply?
    The likely answer is that we (collectively) don't know if you will be able to read the text on a newspaper taken from 50+ cm away. The vast majority of Panasonic owners on this forum use different models with higher resolutions. No chance you can try it out in a store and see for yourself?
    Tyler
    FZ20 Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler
    It would be my guess that anything you put in front of the lens is going to degrade the image sharpness. Have you tried using a post processing program like PSP or PS to adjust the sharpness after the shot was taken? The unsharp mask feature that a lot of current image processing software applications have available can do wonders with a soft focused image.
    Agree - use a unsharp mask feature to correct the soft focus.

Dear Gary,

Could you tell me what freeware on Windows Pocket PC can I use to sharpen using the unsharp mask feature?

Appreciate it if you could reply asap. TIA.

kind regards,
    Asellar