Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Megapixel

Unhappy Megapixel

I know megapixel isn't everything but to print out very large prints, digital's can't keep up yet. 16megapixel is not up to par. It needs to reach 30mp to print out large pics.

When will the next generation of DSLR cameras be out and when will they hit 20+ MP?

My other question is when they say the CANON DSLR cameras are Full-Frame, are they truly Full Frame?

Anybody's opinions and input are appreciated.

Their are out there already if you want to pay the price. Midsize camera backs have been available for some time but they are very very expensive and used mostly for advertising. They are made by Kodak, Phase One and several other companies.

I regularly make 13x19 prints from my little Canon 10D with good results. I have even made that size with 1 1/8 size processors with very little noise and good resolution.

"Full size processors" are full frame 35mm (35.8 x 23.8mm).

Glenn
    Last edited by GlennD; 03-30-2005 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shenook
    I know megapixel isn't everything but to print out very large prints, digital's can't keep up yet. 16megapixel is not up to par. It needs to reach 30mp to print out large pics.

When will the next generation of DSLR cameras be out and when will they hit 20+ MP?

My other question is when they say the CANON DSLR cameras are Full-Frame, are they truly Full Frame?

Anybody's opinions and input are appreciated.
    I'm not sure on what you based your statement, but 8Mp is supposed to be equivalent to normal ISO 100 film grain, and pro film is supposed to be around 16MP. As Glenn has stated, 22MP digital backs seem to be good enought for professional, medium format, studio work (including, large, store poster size), and they seem to be selling like hotcakes as a good supply of used medium-format film cameras and backs are out there for sale (relatively cheap). Digital backs run about $25,000+ depending on pixel density.

As for full-frame? Yes, they are true 35mm image size (24mm x 36mm).

There are only 4 full-frame 35mm cameras on the market (that I know of). The 11MP & 16MP Canon 1Ds/1Ds Mark II (~$8000) and the Kodak 14MP Pro SLR and 14n series (~$5000).

The Canon 1D and 1D Mark II are "tweeners" with a 28.7 x 19.1mm sensor and a 1.3X crop (~$6000).

The rest are APS-C sized (23.7 x 15.6mm 1.5X crop or Canons 22.7 x 15.1mm 1.6X crop)

An exception is the 4/3rds sensors from Kodak but used by Olympus (around 17.3mm x 13mm) in the E-300. The Oly E-1 uses a 22.3mm (diagonal) 4/3rds sensor. Interstingly people always assume that these cameras share the 22.3mm sensor when in fact the 8MP E-300 is the smaller of the two.

Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted to know, but now you know.
    Last edited by D70FAN; 03-30-2005 at 09:35 AM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Shenook I do not quite know what it is you are talking about. Did someone tell you that the current Digital cameras are not good enough for large prints or is this based off of a point and shoot (which even if it does have 8megapixal it does not give great photos)?

I see that glenn makes some large prints from his canon 10D and I know george has mentioned similar size prints from his nikon D70. Personally I have made 20x30in prints from my 20D and I have had 3 pros tell me that I used a medium format film back (thanks to el-color printing). So I would say what ever you are basing this topic on is flawed and you should check with any number of old pros now shooting with DSLR cameras to see what they think.

Also I have seen so serious blowups from a sinar back mf. and all I can say is WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle17
    Shenook I do not quite know what it is you are talking about. Did someone tell you that the current Digital cameras are not good enough for large prints or is this based off of a point and shoot (which even if it does have 8megapixal it does not give great photos)?

I see that glenn makes some large prints from his canon 10D and I know george has mentioned similar size prints from his nikon D70. Personally I have made 20x30in prints from my 20D and I have had 3 pros tell me that I used a medium format film back (thanks to el-color printing). So I would say what ever you are basing this topic on is flawed and you should check with any number of old pros now shooting with DSLR cameras to see what they think.

Also I have seen so serious blowups from a sinar back mf. and all I can say is WOW.

Let me find the link I was sent and post it up. Tell me what you think. I assure you I have very little knowledge of photography so I'm easily influenced. Let me see if I can find the link.

Here it is

I can't see this link from work but here it is.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

Someone told me to shoot everything in JPEG. I think this is the article that claims 16mb isn't enough I just can't get to the link from work right now so i don't know if it's correct.

What do you think of the info presented? I appreciate your time.(s)

Dunno about the next DSLR hitting 20Mp but you can get digital backs for medium format cameras that are 20-35Mp if not more.

Quote Originally Posted by shevbo
    Dunno about the next DSLR hitting 20Mp but you can get digital backs for medium format cameras that are 20-35Mp if not more.
    Current Canon 1Ds Mark II is 16MP. I think 22MP is about the biggest digital back at this point. Who is making 35MP?
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Quote Originally Posted by Shenook
    I can't see this link from work but here it is.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/raw.htm

Someone told me to shoot everything in JPEG. I think this is the article that claims 16mb isn't enough I just can't get to the link from work right now so i don't know if it's correct.

What do you think of the info presented? I appreciate your time.(s)
    Yeah. For as much as I like Kens style, he sometimes goes off the deep end, and there are work-arounds for larger prints, from 6-8 MegaPixel images.

Most of us may use a little extra interpolation in Photoshop to fill in the gaps, but we rarely print to 20 x 30. Most of my larger print requests are for 11 x 14 or 13 x 19 which turn out beautiful on the Epson 2000P. These images are from a 6.1MP Nikon D70.

While it's true that Arizona Highways Magazine accepts only film, I suspect it's really more because they don't have the systems in place to handle the workflow, or that the current investment in drum scanners has not been amortized. I'm sure that this is about to change, and they are one of very few magazines not accepting/using digital.
    Ha! See, I can change...

when it comes to resolving, the 1DSMKII beats pro film, as tested by Pop Photo & Imaging, but color accuracy, dynamic range, and other factors, film still takes the lead.
    Really though, who cares? I will never print larger than 19" on the big end, so it doesn't matter.