Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Digital Liquidators in NY

I finally decided on the Canon S1 IS based on reviews I've read. I did some price comparisons and came across http://www.digitalliquidators.com - they actually had the camera in stock. The salesman also tried to sell me batteries and filters and other things but I have most of the accessories already. However, there were a few places I called that when I told them I didn't want the accessories, they told me the camera wasn't in stock. What a joke....

Anyway, so far the experience seems on the level and there were no wierd things that made me question the transaction. I just got the shipping confirmation and it's shipping from Brooklyn - after reading all these horror stories on Brooklyn-based resellers I'm starting to worry that what arrives won't be what I was promised. I was able to get an extended 3 year warranty at half the price he first suggested. So he did give a little.... But I'm still worried after doing some reading here.

Has anyone ordered from this place before?

How much did you pay (with and without extras)? I'm just wondering to see if you could have gotten a better deal elsewhere.

Digital liquidators has a horrible reputation, so best of luck to you.

I paid around $320 +/- with shipping. I hadn't been able to find much on them in particular and their "rating" was 4 stars I believe. I just hope I can be an exception to the rule and get what I ordered.

I read somewhere here that a big problem is missing parts? Now I am nervous If it's not what I was expecting, are they going to give me a hard time returning it?

Use resellerratings.com as your guide to whether you should buy at a certain store or not. Make sure they have plenty of feedback, most of it good.

I have a hunch you used shopcartusa.com. While I don't know if the site is a scam (I suspect not), the ratings on it are rigged, probably by the people who run those Brooklyn camera stores.

Again, best of luck. If you had asked here before purchasing, I (as well as others) probably would have recommended you buy it at buydig.com/beachcamera.com (reputable store(s) despite the thread in this forum) for about the same price or if you care about service, pay a little more elsewhere.

Also, I don't recommend buying extended warranties from places I wouldn't buy from to begin with--they're often not worth the paper they're printed on.

Your hunch is correct LOL - I used shopcartusa.

I read ALL over these forums for other things but I never looked at who to buy from Well, it is supposed to arrive tomorrow or thursday and I can only hope at this point that what's in the box is right.

Is there anything to look for that might indicate a lemon camera? I guess maybe using it might be the best bet. I have my fingers crossed that I can be an exception to the rule...... Service is a huge issue for me, HUGE. The guy I talked with was very nice and didn't get rude or pushy with me so my experience was comfortable. Hopefully the product will follow suit.

Hard to say. Canon's come unsealed, I believe, so lack of a seal would not be a giveaway (conversely, a sealed Canon box would make me suspicious), though the contents on the inside should be neatly wrapped.

The problem with digicams is just that sometimes you don't know if your camera is defective or whether the model you bought just happens to have that fault in all of the cameras. If you find something you find odd, just post in the Canon forum and others can tell you if that's normal for your model or not (I don't own the S1).

Something I didn't know about the seal so thanks for the information - as well as all of the additional that you've provided. I guess it's a wait and see thing at this point.

I'll update once I get it in my hands... Hopefully, I won't be visiting the Canon forum for problems

Update

Well, I received the camera via UPS delivery today. It was not "sealed" but was in a protective rubberfoam sleeve. So far, everything looks to be in order except one thing: no memory card. I specifically asked the guy when I ordered it if everything would be in the box and he confirmed yes.

However, I guess I should be thankful it's only that considering the stories I've heard. They are cheap and I wanted a larger, high speed one anyway but I wasn't about to pay them for it when I can get it on sale locally with no shipping

So, I guess the real test will be when I get home and start using it!

Looking for memory card

Take another look through your packaging materials. I don't know how Canon packages things, but it took me three tries to find the SD card that came with my Panasonic. It was inside a small plastic bag that was semi-hidden under one of the flaps of the cardboard box. Glad to hear your camera arrived OK.