Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SD500 - Anyone not happy with it ?

Hello guys,

I ordered a new sd500 - Congratulations to me
    I'm just wondering,
    Is there anyone who bought an SD500 and is not happy with it ?
    I read some folks on other sites that were'nt happy with it that much,
    but I think they're all just too picky.

Comments to that are more than welcome.
    Jonathan.

Quote Originally Posted by yonika
    Hello guys,

I ordered a new sd500 - Congratulations to me
    I'm just wondering,
    Is there anyone who bought an SD500 and is not happy with it ?
    I read some folks on other sites that were'nt happy with it that much,
    but I think they're all just too picky.

Comments to that are more than welcome.
    Jonathan.
    Congratulations…have no worries…if you love digital photography, you will love the sd500!

I can't imagine someone not being happy with this camera...and I am the fussiest, pickiest person on Earth (ask my wife!). The only way someone could not be happy with it is if they didn't do their homework and didn't get what they expected...and then, of course, it's not the camera's fault!

Hey, if you could please post a link where there are negative comments, I'd like to read them...because I want to know if it's just me (and others on this) who are so enamored with the SD500 that we don't see it's bad points (wait...that's not right...there are no bad points....some limitations, but we knew that). I'd like to know if the negative comments are critically analytic or just people who haven't learned how to use the camera...

The only thing I'd knock Canon for on the SD500...there's no battery life indicator. Shame on them, but let's face it, it's a nit...
    Last edited by Jeff Keller; 03-26-2005 at 11:19 AM. Reason: removed font tag

Thanks

Hey there JTL,

Thanks for boosting up my confidence on ordering that great camera
    Here's a link, you''ll find there alot of messages about the sd500.

http://search.dpreview.com/forums/se...d500&forum=all

if it does'nt work, just go to www.dpreview.com --> forums --> search --> sd500.

Tell me what you think,
    Jonathan.

Hey there JTL,

Thanks for boosting up my confidence on ordering that great camera
    Here's a link, you''ll find there alot of messages about the sd500.

http://search.dpreview.com/forums/se...d500&forum=all

if it does'nt work, just go to www.dpreview.com --> forums --> search --> sd500.

Tell me what you think,
    Jonathan.
    Thanks for pionting me there. O.K...just a few comments...
    The "whining" or "high-pitched" noise on video playback appears to be real...several people have documented it...but not everyone has this problem (I don't). The thread about the "blurry" photos is a laugh...it is clearly a case of the person(s) not knowing (or learning) how to use AIAF. Check out the pictures I posted in the gallery or the pictures in Jeff's review...do they look "blurry"? The detail capture for this camera is nothing short of exceptional. As a matter of fact, you have to go out of your way to take a blurry photo with this camera. The person who returned the SD500 for a Sony P200...well they made some good points (it will always be a toss-up between these two cameras for some), but even they said that the picture quality was better on the SD500. I stopped reading after that because I have had the SD500 for two weeks now, and I like more now then when I first got it...I already know it's a great camera! Good luck with it and let us know what you think after you get it. Thanks!

Very happy with my SD500

Hi !
    I am vert happy of my SD500, love it more and more.
    Take a look of my pictures i have take with it, the are very sharp.

http://www.mypix.se/ShowFriend.asp?AID=JMMPMNCQRMK

Johan

What's AIAF ?

Hey,

Once again, thanks for your opinion.
    I just got to know what's AIAF and you said that you have to lurn how to use it. so what's there to know ? is'nt it automatic ?
    do you have any tips on how to use it correctly ?

about me gettin' my camera, it'll take awhile since we did'nt get it here in my country yet, they said it'll arrive in 14 bussiness days - darn, I can't wait anymore to get it.

jonathan.

I just got to know what's AIAF and you said that you have to lurn how to use it. so what's there to know ? is'nt it automatic ?
    do you have any tips on how to use it correctly ?
    You're right...I should have said that they needed to learn how it works. On the SD500, AIAF is a 9-point "intelligent" auto-focusing system. Based on what is in the frame, a program on the chip in the the camera "evaluates" the image and attempts to determin what to focus on, and what the depth-of-field should be. When you push the shutter release button half-way down, it engages the AIAF (and the exposure lock). Little green rectangles appear in the LCD (on top of the image) to let you know the focus points. Needless to say, they're not always what you want. Also, a lot of people have the bad habit of focus-locking on one thing and than shooting something else...a recipe for blurry pictures! Framing with an LCD so that you focus-lock on what you want takes a little practice. If the auto focus picks points that are not what you wanted...you have release the button, re-frame the shot left/right or up/down a little and re-lock. Sometimes this can be annoying when you're taking snapshots of people (who expect you to take the shot quickly). My solution...when taking snapshots of people...turn off AIAF and use single-point autofocus which focuses on whatever is in the middle of the frame. Starting on page 89 (of the U.S. manual) it explains this very well...although obvisously a lot of people aren't reading it (I guess it's easier just to blame the camera)! Also, on the immediately following pages, it explians exposure locking and and the metering modes (another thing some people seem too lazy to learn about). Hope this helps!
    Last edited by JTL; 03-26-2005 at 09:20 AM.

Locking...

Just wondering,

I read somewhere - don't remember where it was - that you can lock also the shutter speed and aperture settings, and that in this way you can semi-control theses settings.

Since you mentioned that it is possible to lock exposures and focusing, do you know if it's possible to lock the shutter and aperture ?

if not, how do you take action shots and force a high shutter speed ?
    does this baby have a scene mode that gives this ?

by the way, do you have the sd500, Ixus 700 or IXY 600 ?

Thanks,
    Jonathan.

Talking I got my SD500 2

I just got my SD500 from buydig.com. I can't be happier. This camera is so great except the noise when it zoom in or zoom out. Really much better than my previous SONY T1.

Just wondering,

I read somewhere - don't remember where it was - that you can lock also the shutter speed and aperture settings, and that in this way you can semi-control theses settings.

Since you mentioned that it is possible to lock exposures and focusing, do you know if it's possible to lock the shutter and aperture ?

if not, how do you take action shots and force a high shutter speed ?
    does this baby have a scene mode that gives this ?

by the way, do you have the sd500, Ixus 700 or IXY 600 ?

Thanks,
    Jonathan.
    There is no way to choose a specific aperture setting and/or shutter speed (except for Long Shutter mode). You can lock the exposure...it's just that the camera doesn't tell what the aperture and shutter speed are! Later, you can read the EXIF info to see what the settings were. You can play with exposure locking on darker or lighter areas, re-composing the shot and shoot to achieve a level of control. If you do this under a controlled setting, you can pretty much learn what shutter speed and aperture the camera will pick in various situations. Also, a more direct way to control the aperture is via the Exposure Compensation feature. You can go +/- 2EV in 1/3 stop increments...but once again, you are left to guess as to relative to what. The only way to directly control the shutter speed is via the Long Shutter mode. You can manually adjust the shutter to be open from 1 to 15 seconds. But, there is no way to force a fast shutter speed, except by using the "Kids and Pets" scene mode. Once again, the camera will not tell what shutter speed or aperture that it's using. But, after a few days of shooting, getting good exposures becomes second nature. I thought it was a big sacrifice to give up manual control, but the pluses of the camera far outweigh the limitations. And, if I need manual control, that's what the G6 is for...

I have the SD500. I bought it in NYC at J&R on March 12th...one day after it was available...