Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Where do I start.

I am new to the digital camera world. I like being outdoors hunting and fishing. I would like to take shots of animals I see. Do I need the 10x zoom? The animals I watch are usualy in the 100 yard range. I would like to stay in the 500 dollar range.

Do you need a long zoom?

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    I am new to the digital camera world. I like being outdoors hunting and fishing. I would like to take shots of animals I see. Do I need the 10x zoom? The animals I watch are usualy in the 100 yard range. I would like to stay in the 500 dollar range.
    100 yards is a long way away, Steve! Yes, you'll definitely need a 10X zoom, at least. The longest available zoom for your purposes in your price range would be the Panasonic DMC-FZ10, which can be bought for ~$500 on-line. It has a stabilized Leica lens with a zoom range from 35mm to 420mm (in 35mm equivalence), and 4 megapixels of image array. So even though you may not be able to fill the frame with an animal or bird 100 yds away, you can get some reasonable photos through cropping. It's an excellent camera; I have one myself.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Thumbs up

I was beginning to worry. I filled in, the best I could, but finally gave up. Nick has been filling in for you (???).
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Smile Thanks John

I was looking at the Cannon Powershot S1 IS. I will also look at the Panasonic.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    I was looking at the Cannon Powershot S1 IS. I will also look at the Panasonic.
    FYI, another new entry in this field is the Konica-Minolta Z3, which offers a stabilized 12X lens with the same zoom range as the Panasonic, albeit with a slower lens aperture at full zoom (f4.5 vs f2.8); it is smaller, and the Z3 has done away with that display-switching mechanism that seemed to be problematic for the Z1 and Z2 cameras. And, rumor has it that Panasonic is introducing some new zoomies around the 20th of this month. Be patient, and all your needs may be fulfilled!
    Let a be your umbrella!

The newly introduced Minolta Z3 is something I would wait for. Minolta seemed to have some Q/C problems with the swithfinder and build quality, but there have been remarks about the S1 IS feeling filmsy too. However, the switchfinder is gone with this model, and hopefully they've considered the previous complaints. I'd wait and see what is to come out/be announced in the next few weeks.

If you need something NOW, DMC-FZ10 would be my pick.